Windows 7 Windows 7 has stopped a program from running

socsir

I have a new Lenova laptop running Windows 7 home Premium. I have loaded in a virtual type application and it was working fine. Earlier today when I tried to use it I got an error message, and it would not run. Can anyone help? This is the error message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: VirtualRPC_SE.exe
Application Version: 1.6.0.0
Application Timestamp: 45799c32
Fault Module Name: atapicd.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 3fba70a3
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00001750
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 4f5c
Additional Information 2: 4f5c3e080c35e16bc568f1a2a8be5878
Additional Information 3: 7adc
Additional Information 4: 7adc9b3361df855b0a95e927579d76f5

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

What virtualizing software are you using?

It is called "VRPC-SE" and is a "Virtual Acorn" (UK based Operating System) It was once used in nearly every school in the UK, launched with the "BBC Micro".

It comes on a CD and is protected a way that you need a copy for every individual PC it is used in, as it has a licensed "Riscos OS" operating system like "Windows" operating system.

I have another copy of it running fine on my newWindows 7 HP desk top. The copy that is causing problems with my new Lenova laptop ran fine on my previous Toshiba laptop running Windows XP.

My understanding of the problem is that Windows or Micro Soft thinks this is not a licensed version of a third party application and is blocking it in some way.

Thanks for the reply Drew,

Before going to your point I had been in touch with the virtual application people and they informed me that the error line:

Fault Module Name: atapicd.dll

suggested that my optical drive was not ATAPI compatible. That does not seem to be the case because after uninstalling then re-installing I can get it to run ok on my laptop but when closing it down in the normal way within the application I get the Windows Error message that " RiscPC Emulator with RISC-OS4 has stopped working, and that same error message appears every time I click on the Shortcut icon to start it up.

What I have found is that if I right click on the icon then click on " Safe run " then it will load in and run fine but the same problem with quitting the program exists.

I do not know anything about an "Allowed" list in the Firewall and would appreciate information on how to check that. My Lenova laptop has Kaspersky installed for a free 3 months trial, but I suspect you are referring to a "Windows" Firewall

Yes, I admit, I had presumed Windows Firewall. But, either should have an Exceptions list or an Allowed list. There one should be able to browser to the program wanted & Add it to said list. Personally, I like the OS Firewall over others. Also, before Kaspersky runs out, replace it w/ MSE. Maybe something from here will help you, RiscPC Emulator with RISC-OS4 - Bing= Cheers, Drew

Yes, I admit, I had presumed Windows Firewall. But, either should have an Exceptions list or an Allowed list. There one should be able to browser to the program wanted & Add it to said list. Personally, I like the OS Firewall over others. Also, before Kaspersky runs out, replace it w/ MSE. Maybe something from here will help you, RiscPC Emulator with RISC-OS4 - Bing= Cheers, Drew

Thanks for the reply Drew,

I have managed to find the Windows Firewall and included my virtual application in the Allowed list. I have also included it in the Kaspersky one. There was still a problem clicking on the icon to load the application but I have turned off "Windows Defender" and it now loads in fine.

I still cannot quit from within the application as Windows keeps coming up with it's error window telling me the application has stopped working, but I can switch from running in full screen to running in a window then go back to the Windows Task Manager and close it down from there after a few clicks. This is a bit inconvenient but at least I can use the application on my new laptop.

What still puzzles me a bit is that I also have a brand new HP Pavilion desktop running the same Windows 7 with my Virtual application and this problem does not exist on that.

Back