Windows 7 Windows 7 HD image Fails

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
I tried to create a disk image using the Windows 7 feature. The creation failed with a message that chkdsk /r should be run on the source and destination HDs. Destination HD was error free. Source HD had bad clusters replaced in five files.

Second attempt to create a disk image failed with the same message.

There are no system symptoms, everything seems to be working as usual.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Where are you trying to save the image to? Is the space adequate enough to store the image? When I first created my system image for back up, I also have a separate internal hard drive for just the system image - 320 gig, it took over a full 100 gig. Thats the OS and all the system files and folders. You can change the parameters of the system image backup, to either contain just the OS or just all your files and folders and settings.

Where are you trying to save the image to? Is the space adequate enough to store the image? When I first created my system image for back up, I also have a separate internal hard drive for just the system image - 320 gig, it took over a full 100 gig. Thats the OS and all the system files and folders. You can change the parameters of the system image backup, to either contain just the OS or just all your files and folders and settings.

I have three 500 GB hard drives on my system. HD 0 is Windows 7, HD 1 is used for misc copies, HD 2 is used for backup images. Yes there is enough space on HD 2 for the image.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Jim

Source HD had bad clusters replaced in five files. Second attempt to create a disk image failed with the same message.
I believe if it was me, I would take immediate steps to back up all my critical data. Use a files and folders backup solution rather than an image (most imaging software will fail if the drive is still showing as problematic) Backup your profile folder C:\Users\YourUserName. And any other randomly stored critical data.
WARNING: Continuing to attempt to resolve drive issues by running disk diagnostic utilities may further exacerbate the problem, so make sure your critical data is safe before running the native Check Disk Utility again or any vendor specific hard drive diagnostic utility Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Many hard drives have a few bad sectors and can continue to function fine after the OS has checked and marked the bad sectors. But it can also be an indication of a failing drive when you continue to receive such warnings.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have saved what I believe is all of my user data. (Even the Windows 7 file backup fails, so all copy operations were done manually.)

And I have an error code from the Event Viewer: 2155348269

A google turns up several references. One says there are missing or corrupt files. But, there is no solution given.

Any advice will be appreciated, Jim

I believe if it was me, I would take immediate steps to back up all my critical data. Use a files and folders backup solution rather than an image (most imaging software will fail if the drive is still showing as problematic) Backup your profile folder C:\Users\YourUserName. And any other randomly stored critical data.
WARNING: Continuing to attempt to resolve drive issues by running disk diagnostic utilities may further exacerbate the problem, so make sure your critical data is safe before running the native Check Disk Utility again or any vendor specific hard drive diagnostic utility Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Many hard drives have a few bad sectors and can continue to function fine after the OS has checked and marked the bad sectors. But it can also be an indication of a failing drive when you continue to receive such warnings.

Personally I would have already order a replacement for the system drive and started making preparations for a clean custom install upon its' arrival.
But if you want to roll the dice, then:
Enter your system's BIOS Utility and turn on the SMART (Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology) feature. See what that shows during POST.
Re-run the native Check Disk utility.
Launch an elevated command prompt (StartOrb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt, right click it and choose Run As Administrator) and type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter and answer Yes “Y” when prompted and reboot.
Let it run all five stages. When complete check the log file in Event Viewer for results (Click the StartOrb and type event viewer and hit enter, expand Windows Logs and highlight / select Application, click Action on the menu bar and select Find and type chkdsk and hit enter.
Actually I would likely run it on all my drives for added peace of mind.
Check you hard drive manufacturer's website and find their vendor specific hard drive diagnostic tool. Preferably one that will allow you to check the disk independent of the OS by booting to a CD or Thumb Drive for testing.
Good Luck
Randy

It also never hurts to run a system file check, just in case. In the same Admin window, type sfc /scannow and let it finish.

I found this thread which seems to describe the same problem that I have. What do you guys think?

Edit: It would have helped if I had included the link!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/7f1ffa1f-eeac-4750-a3a9-7371d42f4be5

Anyway, chkdsk found no errors. And sfc /scannow found no errors. And, a utility cd that came with my PC had a Western Digital disk diagnostic, SMART, that found no errors. So, all diagnostic efforts have found no errors more than the original replaced clusters in six files, yet image creation still fails. Maybe the HD is failing, but if so why no way to confirm? I still wonder if a corrupt file is causing the problem? And why can't some diagnostic find the corrupt file?

Thanks for any additional advice, Jim

Last edited:
Just wanted highlight the edit. Thanks

I found this thread which seems to describe the same problem that I have. What do you guys think?

Edit: It would have helped if I had included the link!

Windows 7 prof 64 bit Backup Hang after 75% done (0x80070003)

Anyway, chkdsk found no errors. And sfc /scannow found no errors. And, a utility cd that came with my PC had a Western Digital disk diagnostic, SMART, that found no errors. So, all diagnostic efforts have found no errors more than the original replaced clusters in six files, yet image creation still fails. Maybe the HD is failing, but if so why no way to confirm? I still wonder if a corrupt file is causing the problem? And why can't some diagnostic find the corrupt file?

Thanks for any additional advice, Jim

Sorry, at this point I have no idea why the native Windows 7 Backup Utility is failing to create a system image for you.
Would you mind trying an alternative options Backup software for data backup and recovery |Acronis use the "Free Trial" button, enter a valid email account and they will send you a trial key.
Just as a mean to ascertain if the problem is with the Backup Utility or actually a problem with one or more of your drives.
If Acronis True Image Home 2012 is able to create the .tib archive successfully, then please browse the archive (you should be able to either double click the archive and drill down through the "C" or right click and mount the archive I would suggest only mounting the "C" instance) open a document or image or play an .mp3 from the archive to make sure it is in fact viable.
Let us know the results.
Regards
Randy

Thanks again for your helpful reply. I have Macrium Reflect as a second backup program. It also fails to create an image. Do you think Acronis would be more likely to be successful?

Also, do you think information in the Event Viewer logs would provide a clue about what is causing the failure? If yes, could you give me a trip on what/how to look? The amount of stuff in those logs is overwhelming.

Thanks, Jim

Sorry, at this point I have no idea why the native Windows 7 Backup Utility is failing to create a system image for you.
Would you mind trying an alternative options Backup software for data backup and recovery |Acronis use the "Free Trial" button, enter a valid email account and they will send you a trial key.
Just as a mean to ascertain if the problem is with the Backup Utility or actually a problem with one or more of your drives.
If Acronis True Image Home 2012 is able to create the .tib archive successfully, then please browse the archive (you should be able to either double click the archive and drill down through the "C" or right click and mount the archive I would suggest only mounting the "C" instance) open a document or image or play an .mp3 from the archive to make sure it is in fact viable.
Let us know the results.
Regards
Randy

Do you think Acronis would be more likely to be successful?
Probably not, although it might be worth a try and Acronis does create its' own log files which might be helpful although not always easy to interpret.

Also, do you think information in the Event Viewer logs would provide a clue about what is causing the failure? If yes, could you give me a trip on what/how to look? The amount of stuff in those logs is overwhelming.
Thanks, Jim
No real tips, the event logs (Windows Logs->Application or Windows Logs->System) are sorted default by date and time so, if present they would be near the top immediately following a failed attempted image creation. Generally I select the log (application or system) and then from the action menu choose filter current log, select the check boxes, Critical Warning and Error. Typically that will cut down some of the information and again sort by Date and Time column ascending or descending by simply clicking on the Column Header Name.

Hi Randy,:biggrin:

Amazing! Acronis was able to make a .tib file! And music and movies work as expected! During the backup, there were five instances where the backup stopped and displayed a message: "Failed to read sector <sector number> of HD 2. Failed to read the snapshot (0x10c45a) CRC (0x100155)", but there was an option to ignore the sector and the backup continued.

So, I guess the HD has five bad sectors? I have no idea if that is serious. Since there are no obvious operational symptoms (except the failed creation of an image) I wonder if HD replacement is required?

I have a question about Acronis. The program options have backup, but nothing called "Make Image". But, it appears that an image is created, not just a file backup?

Thanks for your help and patience. This is a big load off my shoulders. If I do need to replace the HD, it will be much easier with a current image.

Thanks again Randy, Jim:biggrin:

Let us know the results.
Regards
Randy

I have a question about Acronis. The program options have backup, but nothing called "Make Image". But, it appears that an image is created, not just a file backup?
Acronis uses the .tib (True Image Backup) file extension for every backup. I am currently beta testing 2013 right now so I don't recall but you should be able to select, under "Backup and Recovery"-> "Other Backups" -> "File Backups" or even email backups. No matter what you choose the same format and complete data structure is contained in the .tib results (except in the case of email backups).
So if you backup a single folder containing a single file the result will be SingleFolderSingleFile.tib and when you go to browse the .tib file you will have to drill down through the data structure beginning with the partition. The email backup feature doesn't contain partition data structure information so is not browseable. Also you might want to look at the advanced options under the disk and partition backup settings, there should be a check box to "Ignore Bad Sectors" which should prevent you having to tend the prompts.
Anyway, glad to hear that you have something now that at least makes you feel more comfortable.

Back