Windows 7 Windows 7 install keeps freezing

Azraeel

Hi First time poster. I am trying to upgrade idealy from vista 32bit to Windows 7 64bit. My pc is well up to spec. i even uninstalled all software recommended by the adviser.

I bought windows 7 home upgrade on saturday, I have been trying since to install it. About 20 attempts so far.

Basically every time i try it gets so far and my pc just freezes (no dvd or HDD activity. Cursor wont move). i have even left the install over night in case it unfreezes.

I have tried -
32bit upgrade with from vista, After the reboot from the freeze i get a message stating install failed and vista has been restored.

32bit and 64bit clean installs. Usually hangs at expanding files.

I have tried removing 1 stick of ram and trying .

I have removed all usb, including keyboard and mouse (using old ps2 ones)

Please help, im now out of ideas.

Is it worth trying to take the Dvds back to the shop?

Does this computer have a manufacturer install recovery setup or something of that type like a recovery partition? If it is a pre-built system, have you asked the folks who built it?

When you say bought software, did you download it or get a DVD?

You might try a new hard drive just to see if it will install. You don't have to be online while you test and it should install, just not activate without a prior OS....

32 won't go to 64 without doing a custom clean install .. you can use the 64 upgrade disk to do a clean install but you lose everything on the drive... so you need to be backed up.

When you BOOT to the disk go to custom and make sure you have 1 partition... you may be tring to install to a small partition that doesn't have space for the files to expand. Once you remove partitions your old system is gone.

Custom Install and enjoy from that point.

Thanks for the replies.
I did say that I tryed a clean install with both 32 & 64bit versions was well as trying a 32bit uprgrade.

Ihave tried installing on 2 differant hard drives. Both of which allow me to install vista.

I also tried another DVD drive, with no luck.

Could the disks. Be faulty? Should I take them to the shop?

Azraeel it sounds as if the discs may have become corrupt in some way or another. First off, make sure that your computer you are using windows 7 64 bit on is 64 bit compatible. If not this could be the issue. If that is not the case i would recommend getting a new copy of the cd to install it.

32 won't go to 64 without doing a custom clean install .. you can use the 64 upgrade disk to do a clean install but you lose everything on the drive... so you need to be backed up.

When you BOOT to the disk go to custom and make sure you have 1 partition... you may be tring to install to a small partition that doesn't have space for the files to expand. Once you remove partitions your old system is gone.

Custom Install and enjoy from that point.

Actually, if you do the custom clean install from the Upgrade CD it does not actually wipe your entire drive. In fact, it will even copy your previous installation of windows to a Windows.OLD folder so that you can retrieve your previous user profile settings. I was worried about that too originally, but I had to do a clean install because my upgrade did not work. Just make sure you navigate through the custom install options correctly.

Thanks for the replies.
I did say that I tryed a clean install with both 32 & 64bit versions was well as trying a 32bit uprgrade.

Ihave tried installing on 2 differant hard drives. Both of which allow me to install vista.

I also tried another DVD drive, with no luck.

Could the disks. Be faulty? Should I take them to the shop?

How long did you let the computer sit while trying to do the clean custom install's from the install media? When I finally got frustrated and did the clean install.. It took about an hour before I even got to the expanding files screen. Might have even been a bit longer. I saw a blue screen with just a mouse cursor for a very lengthy time before it prompted me to do something.

Actually, if you do the custom clean install from the Upgrade CD it does not actually wipe your entire drive. In fact, it will even copy your previous installation of windows to a Windows.OLD folder so that you can retrieve your previous user profile settings. I was worried about that too originally, but I had to do a clean install because my upgrade did not work. Just make sure you navigate through the custom install options correctly.

I tested an install to RC and removed the 100 my partition that win 7 sets up... (from update disk) it did not create windows.old

I was under the impression that a Custom install does not back up anything. I would like to know if I'm mistaken.

I tested an install to RC and removed the 100 my partition that win 7 sets up... (from update disk) it did not create windows.old

I was under the impression that a Custom install does not back up anything. I would like to know if I'm mistaken.

If you have two factory disks.. one 64 and one 32 that are failing... I would not think the disks are the problem.

How long did you let the computer sit while trying to do the clean custom install's from the install media? When I finally got frustrated and did the clean install.. It took about an hour before I even got to the expanding files screen. Might have even been a bit longer. I saw a blue screen with just a mouse cursor for a very lengthy time before it prompted me to do something.

I actually left it running and went to work I returned 9 hours later.

I can't post my specs right now, as I can't currently use my pc. I'm on my mobile.

We just had a poster saying his would freeze at around 25% of files expanded, with an error message. He stated replacing the hard drive allowed the install to proceed normally.

We just had a poster saying his would freeze at around 25% of files expanded, with an error message. He stated replacing the hard drive allowed the install to proceed normally.

By replacing the hdd, do you mean for a new one?

I have vista installed again on my system. Install went fine, however sometimes when starting it hangs/freezes (as it does when installing win7) and requires a reset. Baring in mind I only have the mono, CPU, graphics card & 1 2gb stick of ram installed. Could any of these components cause this 'hanging'?

If you hit the F8 key on boot, it will give you an option of writing a boot log. You might try that to see if anything shows up like a driver or some service that won't start. I think it is explained under Advanced startup options in Windows help.

I suppose you can do the same thing through MSconfig.exe under the boot tab.

You might want to set it to not overwrite a prior log, just in case you get a good boot the next time. But don't forget and leave it on or you will have many log files before you are done.

Last edited:
Okay, i managed to do a bios update. Unfortunately it has not helped.

Someone asked for some system info -

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ROSS-PC
System Manufacturer Foxconn
System Model 975X7AB
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 16/08/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.33 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.23 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.49 GB
Page File Space 2.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Well I think for one your processor is not 64bit so you can forget the 64bit and work on the 32bit and I think you'll have to do a custom install.

Next is trying to figure out what is making it hang. Will try to see if I can dig anything up.

Have you run the upgrade advisor yet? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displayLang=en

Also I see the specs say something about raid and a lot of people have trouble with raid.

You can also try this thread http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-installation-upgrade/8183-windows-7-starting-windows-freezes-hangs-gets-stuck-solution-guide.html

Last edited:
Oh dear I was sure my CPU was 64bit. However I have tried both 32 & 64bit disks.

I'll be honest and say I don't know what raid is :0

Ok the following is from the boot event log, (i've only copied a bit where it starts to go wrong) this is a vista startup -

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys
Did not load driver @nettun.inf,%isatap.displayname%;Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Did not load driver @nettun.inf,%isatap.displayname%;Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Did not load driver @nettun.inf,%tunmp.displayname%;Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
Did not load driver @hal.inf,%acpiapic.devicedesc%;ACPI x86-based PC
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-l2tp-dispname%;WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-bh-dispname%;WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-ip-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-ipv6-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IPv6)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-pppoe-dispname%;WAN Miniport (PPPOE)

Most of the lines have WAN Miniport at the end.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

BTW it is indeed a 32bit cpu, my previous one was 64bit. My bad

OK, is this a prebuilt system or one someone built for you? Also is your windows 7 discs purchased or downloaded?

I built the system, but bought the mobo and CPU as pre tested set.

I bought windows 7 as a retail box set. It is not downloaded.

Back