Windows 7 Windows 7 loses contact with Western Digital Mirror 2 TB HD

cpmorganesq

I successfully installed Windows 7 on my computer this week, but the computer sometimes loses contact with my Western Digital Mirror 2 terabyte hard drive. When this happens, I restart the computer, and the drive usually reappears.

I contacted Western Digital support, and they said this drive had not yet been tested with Windows 7 (What do they do all day long over at Western Digital? Apparently Windows 7 was a total surprise to them!) They suggested that it might be a power issue, and that I should plug the unit directly ino a wall socket instead of a power strip. They also suggested I try switching the USB cable. I tried both these fixes, but the intermittent problem still remains.

Is this a driver issue? Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do? Are there any downloads on the Microsoft site?

Also, I keep getting a message at start up that Windows can't find my two network drives. But as soon as I open the explorer window and click on the two drive icons, they're there every time. Is this just a start up timing issue?

Thanks!

- cpmorganesq

Back