Windows 7 messing up my music collection

While upgrading to windows 7, a large portion my music collection got all messed up. The first few seconds of a song are switched with parts of another songs. Sound files from a game (CIV4) are mixed in too, its not just music from my library.

Right now I have several hundred screwed up songs, is there any way to fix this? It didn't happen to all the songs on my PC, only around 25%.

Any help would be appreciated. :(

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
The problem you're describing doesn't seem to be caused by Windows 7 ;)
Have you tried playing the songs on another computer, another media player?

Yes, I've tried VLC, Quicktime/Itunes, GOM player and Winamp as well as Foobar 2K.

There was no issues before the switch, then immediately after the installation when I opened some songs they were scrambled.

I'm pretty sure its the same on other PCs - could you confirm that though? Dream Theater - Pull Me Under.mp3 (will remove if copyright is an issue)

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
OK, yes for me, it is also a problem, the song says it's 8:11 but skips to the next song at about 0:05.
You probably should remove the link just in case.
Did you perform an upgrade or was this a clean install of Windows?

It was an upgrade I believe. (all old files were copied to windows.old)

And I don't seem to have the option of editing that post.

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
OK, well nevermind then.. If another moderator sees it, He should see my post to so you shouldn't get into trouble :)
I find it quite strange what you're describing, it was likely more of a disk error then a problem caused by installing windows 7.
Unfortunately, because the files have been physically damaged, the only thing you can do is download them again, from a legal source of course.
Just one more thing:
Were the files damaged right from day 1, or did they get damaged sometime AFTER you installed Windows 7?

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.