Windows 7 Newbie probs with Micronet wireless lan driver, and 7 advice.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by Hartismere, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hartismere

Hartismere New Member

Installed Win 7 64-bit. Clean install, not upgrade. Downloaded the 7 driver from the Micronet site... but it seems it's for the PCIE card. Before installing the drivers I contacted Micronet to ask if the driver would work with the 64-bit version. Had no joy with the drivers, but a gentleman at Micronet had replied saying yes. He also added, and this is where I need your experience... I quote:

"In addition, Windows 7 should have
    > the necessary drivers built-in for this chipset already, so it should work
    > without any problems."

So, is he right? If so why was the card not recognised until I installed the PCIE driver? Is there any way I can force the system to recognise the card - I notice that "Add New Hardware" is not offered in Control Panel. I did try adding a device, but the screen just remained blank for ever it seemed, certainly longer than I was used to in XP and 98 . If the drivers are indeed on the system, anyone know how I can locate and install them?

Still waiting for a further response from Micronet. I've reinstalled XP until I can resolve this.

Many thanks,
    H.

2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Exactly which micronet adapter have you got?

3. Hartismere

Hartismere New Member

Hi,

SP906GKv5. Trustworthy little card, been using it a good while in XP. Also forgot to mention that my card is PCI - hence the doubts about the PCIE drivers.

Cheers.
    H.

4. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

It seems it uses the Realtek RTL8185L chip and there are drivers and support software downloads for that here:

Realtek

There are downloads for both Vista and Win 7 tho only the Vista downloads refer specifically to 64 bit - might be worth trying one or more of those.

5. Hartismere

Hartismere New Member

Indeed. I always steer clear from driver manufacturer sites as we are always being warned to go the manufacturer as the generics might cause probs.

Cheers muchly, will do some examining - if any of means anything to me.

H.