Windows 7 Windows 7 not recognising internet through XP with ICS

gec

Extraordinary Member
Hi,

I have a problem with my internet access at home. I recently upgraded my computer and have just started using W7 for the first time. My home internet runs through a laptop running Windows XP with dial-up access and ICS turned on. The network from my computer looks like this:

Windows 7 ------> Windows XP (Gateway) ------> Internet

Since I started using the computer there were issues with the network icon changing between full connectivity and no internet access at various times. Yesterday this resulted in the oddest issue - no internet access so I couldn't use the browser to access anything, and yet Steam was able to access the internet and update itself.

I'm running Win 7 Pro on an i7 930, 4Gb RAM, plenty of HDD space. My antivirus is Microsoft Security Essentials.

If there are any ideas on how to set up this kind of network I'd love to hear them (apart from the obvious one of getting a real internet connection - that is not possible where I live at present). Any and all other ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I have a problem with my internet access at home. I recently upgraded my computer and have just started using W7 for the first time. My home internet runs through a laptop running Windows XP with dial-up access and ICS turned on. The network from my computer looks like this:

Windows 7 ------> Windows XP (Gateway) ------> Internet

Since I started using the computer there were issues with the network icon changing between full connectivity and no internet access at various times. Yesterday this resulted in the oddest issue - no internet access so I couldn't use the browser to access anything, and yet Steam was able to access the internet and update itself.

I'm running Win 7 Pro on an i7 930, 4Gb RAM, plenty of HDD space. My antivirus is Microsoft Security Essentials.

If there are any ideas on how to set up this kind of network I'd love to hear them (apart from the obvious one of getting a real internet connection - that is not possible where I live at present). Any and all other ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

Well XP uses IPv4, win 7 (homegroup) uses IPv6. You can force win 7 to use IPv4 by changing from homegroup, to workgroup and disabling IPv6.

You can tell by start>search>cmd>right click and run as admin>ipconfig /all Take a screenshot and upload to us.

Truthfully workgroup is supposed to be used on mixed OS networks.

Ken J

Just to follow up, I didn't do anything with the IPv6 or IPv4, but changing the network to "Workgroup" rather than "public" or "homegroup" has allowed the shared internet connection to function.

I still have a couple of teething issues with sharing documents from the Windows 7 computer to the XP one, but it does work the other way. Go figure.

However, that is a discussion for another day. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with the the ICS networking issue though. Cheers heaps!

Back