Windows 7 windows 7 randomly goes into sleep mode, will not wake.

Akarian

This is now my third time with this problem, the first required me to restore to factory settings. These last two seem to have been triggered by a power flicker at my residence. The power momentarily flickered long enough for my computer to shut down. After booting the computer seems fine until approx 5-10 min later it will enter sleep mode no matter what I am actively doing on the pc. I fixed the second time with a restoration to two days before the incident. This time I restored to that same point and it still has the problem. Power settings are on high performance with sleep and hibernate set to never. It is a desktop. I cannot figure out what has actually caused the problem nor how to fix it. Please help, thank you.

I checked all my drivers and none required an update. The computer went into sleep mode again so I am attaching all the requested information. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• W7F_03-10-2012.zip
    527.8 KB · Views: 706
How did you check your devices for updated drivers?
- Device Manager? This isn't very reliable, as it only checks the Microsoft database - and it's only updated by the manufacturers, and not very frequently at that
- the PC Manufacturer's website? While this is generally more reliable than the previous method - it's usually only updated if there are problems noted by the PC Manufacturer
- the device/chipset manufacturer's website? This is the most reliable - but also the most difficult to do. You'll have to figure out who actually designed the drivers for that piece of equipment and then visit their website for updates. And sometimes they won't even post updates for users - so you'll be stuck with getting them from the PC Manufacturer's website.

Only 105 updates since SP1 - most Windows 7 SP1 users have 130 to 140. Please get all available updates from Windows Updates.

You have a wireless USB device, Win7 doesn't really like these devices.
Try removing the software for the device and then removing the device from your system (for testing purposes)
Make sure that you save a copy of the installation software (from the device manufacturer's website - NOT from the CD/DVD that came with it) - so that you can reinstall after checking to see if that fixes the sleep issues.

This device isn't working:
BHDrvx64 ROOT\LEGACY_BHDRVX64\0000 This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
It belongs to your Symantec protection.
Please:
Anti-Virus Removal:
Please do the following:
- download a free antivirus for testing purposes: Link Removed - Invalid URL
- un-install the Norton from your system (you can reinstall it, if so desired, when we're done troubleshooting)
- remove any remnants of Norton using this free tool: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN
- IMMEDIATELY install and update the free antivirus, then check to ensure that the Windows Firewall is turned on.
- check to see if this fixes the BSOD's
NOTE: NEVER run more than 1 anti-virus, firewall, Internet Security/Security Center application at the same time.
Immediately perform a full system scan to ensure that it's not a virus that's causing these issues. If you have problems reinstalling the Norton, then use these free anti-malware tools to scan the system: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Please do not use registry tools - they can cause more damage than they're worth (and repeated use has, in the past, destroyed my own systems).

You appear to be using both the Norton firewall and the Windows firewall - this will definitely cause problems.
Only use one anti-virus at a time and one firewall at a time.

There are many, many errors in the Application log of Event Viewer - IMO it's either a virus infection or a corruption of Windows.
Please reply back with the results of the antivirus scans.

Checked for updates, only found one. I uninstalled and removed Norton, it was expired anyway so I won't be getting it back. Got the free version of Avira and it found no viruses. But the computer has been running for 1 day and 13 hrs now without going into sleep so it appears to be ok.

Still not sure what caused the problem nor fixed it. Thank you very much for the help though.

you might want to run from an elevated command prompt
Powercfg.exe /Energy

It will give you some hints to problems when you have issues with sleep/standby modes.

This is now my third time with this problem, the first required me to restore to factory settings.
i had a similar problem lately. my brother advised me to install some additional software like Link Removed - Invalid URL . however i have no experience with that kind of stuff. but i certainly don't want to reset on the factory settings over and over again.

Back
Top Bottom