Windows 7 reset to default

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Whaat, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Whaat

Whaat New Member

So I turn off my computer last night with nothing out of the ordinary going on. I start up my computer this morning, and it says something like "Setting Up Desktop" for about 5 minutes after I type in my password to log on to my computer. I finally log on, and all my custom desktop things are gone, my wallpaper, my icons(There are still icons, only not as many as I had before), windows theme set to default, all cookies, history, everything from browsers deleted, and google chrome is nowhere to be seen. Everything I've ever downloaded has been deleted, downloads folder is empty, My Documents folder is empty, pretty much every folder has been cleared out besides the Program Files folder.... but the strange thing is, I still have exactly the same amount of memory remaining, so I believe the files are still there.

2. cybercore

cybercore New Member

Hello and Welcome to the Forums. : )

You say nothing extraordinary preceded this event, maybe system restore? Check your event viewer.

Do you have enough free disk space on the system drive?

3. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Along with Cybercore's recommendations, you may also want to take a look at C:\Users and see if there is a username present that you dont' recognize or has a similar name to your profile but with a one off number or special character