Windows 7 Windows 7 Server.

Firecracker

Banned
I have an old computer, My old 2007 gaming rig, and I want to turn it into a server.

Specs:

Amd Anthlon 64 x2 5600+ Processor @ 2.80GHz
Corsair 4 GB DDR2 800MHz Memory
Nvidia Geforce 6600GT 256 MB DDR VRAM
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1143
250GB 7200RPM Hard Disk (sata)
J&W AMD AM2+ Motherboard ATI CrossfireX Link Removed - Invalid URL
500w Coolermaster PSU
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3738&category_id=27
DVD/RW Burner (sata)
Windows 7 64 bit Professional OEM

Now I don't have the bucks ($$$$$$) to go out and buy a dedicated server, I only will use it for home file sharing, Print Server, Backups of all of the PC's and general storage. I would use it for a game server for my Lan parties that I have once a month with 15 People, And it would be used at the anual Lan party of about 45 people.

I Don't have the Bucks ($$$$$$) to get a new mobo, processor or memory yet, but will do that soon.

So what do you think, I'am new to this server thing, But I know Networking and I'am a system builder (Not a Server Builder)

What should I be doing?

Last edited:
Nothing to be done here. RAM and processor will become an issue for your server. Constant writing to disk could become an issue without RAID or multiple hard drives. Have you considered what OS you will use? That will be very important. For a true server, its either going to be some distribution of Linux, Windows Server 2003, or Server 2008. You can still host games and other things off of Windows client but this will never meet "server requirements".

For server software, I have access to Windows Server 2008 R2 (The Lowest version) Or Ubuntu Server (the latest Distro) and for the game servers using Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

the end specs will be:

AMD Phenom II x6 hexacore processor 3.20GHz (thats every core at 3.20GHz)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory
Gigabyte AM3 GA-890FXA-ud5 Mobo
6x 2TB 7200RPM sata 2 HDD's in Raid (Dunno which raid yet?)

this is for 7 computers in the house, and 4 other devices, Gaming never writes anything to disk just only the game server needs to be run.

I would suspect that that hardware should do well with Windows Server 2008r2 (I'm running it on considerably less hardware and it works fine) and it should really do well with a Linux server distro, just don't have any personal knowledge in that department.
Just keep in mind that as far as I know all Windows clients OSs as well as Windows Home Server are limited to 10 simultaneous/concurrent connections and things will flake out on you after you exceed that. Windows Server 2008r2 has no such limitations.

Got somthing, I have been looking further into Motherboards and found a Standard called E-ATX, What is it and how does it relate to servers? I thought Standard Desktop Mobos are either, ATX or Micro atx

Also what does a Deticated 1U or 2U rack server do? and what is the differance between industral servers and my one that I'm planing to build?

Back