Windows 7 Windows 7 Setup hang problems

Jure89

Hi guys, I have a problem with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 setup and it's quite frustrating. Before I explain what is happening let me give you my system specifications

CPU: Intel Core i7 870
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 rev 2.0
Ram: Excelram 2x2GB Red Culvert 1600 mhz
Disk: Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II 3Gb/s
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1Gb GDDR5
DVD Drive: NEC Optiarc

Ok so I've put in the Windows 7 DVD, booted from it, deleted the partitions and created them anew and formatted the non-system one where Windows is to be installed. Windows then extracts the files normally and reboots the system. Here's where things get tricky. The system hangs after the screen "Setup is updating registry settings" and doesn't move anywhere. I even left it on during the night and it didn't budge. In some instances (I've tried installing more than 10 times) I actually get pass this screen but then get stuck at "Completing installation". And I even got pass that screen in one attempt when I ejected the CD, but when the system rebooted, it hung at "Starting Windows" screen.

Now I have read a lot about this problem on the forums and here's what I've tried so far, to no avail of course:

Removing one stick of ram
Removing all external devices, everything not needed and setting the floppy drive to NONE in BIOS
Removing everything from USB slots and disabling them in BIOS
Entering Safemode and opening Device manager through the command prompt and disabling/uninstalling VGA drivers
Switching SATA connectors on the motherboard

Thats about everything I tried with no success. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this and what the solution might be? It's a new computer, was built yesterday and it's really frustrating not getting it to work.

Thank you,
Jure

Hi.

Go in the bios and see if there is a setting for Plug and Play OS. If there is, set it to yes and save. You'll want to Load the Optimized Defaults and save too.

If that's not the issue, then create a USB key installer from the Windows 7 DVD and install from that. You'd have to boot to the USB key.

Link Removed due to 404 Error
Is that a home burned dvd or a real mccoy? If home burned then you should not burn at max, burn at 4x or lower. I don't know why but as many times I burned/installed I finally seen this was better. I wonder if MS done something or if their disks are burned at low speed and then stamped.

Other than that what I do is create a .cmd file and place on usb or floppy to capture errors.
Se7en_UA - with SP1 Injection. - MSFN
capture that then we can look and see what is hanging if not the dvd speed
Usually the error will be in Panther folder\setupact.log. zip it and attach and I'll take a look.

Last edited:
Hello, i'm italian and I'm new to this forum....i have the same problem......
My hardware:

mobo: gigabyte p55a ud4
cpu: i5 760
ram: g-skill 2x2gb 1600 f3-12800cl7d-4gbrm
sc video: sapphire hd6870
hard disk1: seagate barracuda 7200.12 500gb
hard disk2: western digital 1tb green
dvd: lg gh22ns50

jure89 have solved the problem?

sorry if english is not perfect :D

Back
Top Bottom