Windows 7 Windows 7 Shuts down Randomly (Kernel-Power Event Id: 41)

jonow

What happened is kinda of long so I have simplified it but if you want to read the long roundabout version of what happened be my guest.

Short: My computer has random shutdowns. The power cuts out completely, no BSOD, no dump file. In event viewer it says "Kernel-Power Event Id: 41". I have reformatted my computer 3 times and still have the same issue. The issue does not happen in Ubuntu or when I am in the BIOS or running a live CD of sorts. I have no idea what to do

Long: I come to you as a last resort. I am one of those teen nerds that can usually solve any computer problem but I have tried EVERYTHING and I am turning to you as a last resort and hoping that you see and respond to this. Many people on the internet have this issue with no solution.

It first started a few days ago. I have had Windows 7 running on my system fine for at least 6 months and then it randomly shut off while installing Adobe CS5. When I restarted, it got to the desktop. As the computer was connecting to my network, the computer froze, nothing worked except the mouse.

I manually rebooted it. After that it would shut off anywhere from the time, the Windows booting screen showed up to less than a second after the desktop loaded with a BSOD. (Never enough time to do anything)

I switched out my RAM (from 2GB@533 MHz to 4GB@800 MHz) and Video Card (from nVidia 8600 GTX to nVidia 9800 GTX+), reformatted my computer, and had the same issue. I reinstalled Windows again and same exact issue.

I took apart my computer, reassembled it, zeroed out my hard drive, and ran diagnostics on my hard drive and memory with no errors. I installed Windows 7 again. While downloading updates it shut down. Now when I start it up it shuts shown within a few seconds from turning on or may take half an hour to shut off. In error reporting, it says that the Event Id is 41 and the Source is Kernel-Power.

It is not a result of insufficient power because I have a 1000-watt power supply (don't ask me why). I also have also made sure it is not viruses because everything I used was either formatted or scanned with four different anti-virus software (ESET NOD32, Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware, Avast, and Advanced System Protector).

I have done everything of my knowledge I can do except test every hardware piece which I do not have enough money for. But I have ran a diagnostics on all my hardware with no errors. The only thing I haven't done was let a memory test run for long amounts of time (i have done it for about 30 minutes). But I have done a stress test on my CPU for a few hours/

Do you know what I can do to fix this shutting off problem?

Here are my current hardware specs:
System: Dell XPS 710
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.40GHz
Motherboard: Dell 0UY253
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Intel Edition
Southbridge: NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI BIOS: Dell, version 1.4.1
Memory: 2Ă— {Corsair DDR2 1GB, 2Ă— {PDP Systems DDR2 1GB,
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy
Monitor Displays: Dell SE198WFP @ 1440x900
Hard Drive: Seagate ST325082 (244 GB)
Network Card: Linksys WMP54G V. 4.51 (running on Ralink Wireless LAN Card V2 drivers because of a driver issue with Windows 7 64-bit and the Linksys drivers)
Power Supply: N1000P-00 1000-Watts
Optical Drives: Dell UU009 DVD+/-RW, 16X SATA and Dell KX158 CDRW/DVD 48X
Case: It is a large case with 5 fans, good air flow. It also has LED lights on it.
Card Reader: Teac Internal USB Flash Card Reader, Dell GT399

Welcome.

Follow my signature and also copy the files in C:\Windows\Minidump to any other folder then zip them. Also attach the zip to a post.

If it's not making crash dumps, Google for how to set "small memory dump".

Also, Google for the uninstall tool for every antivirus you currently have. Use them all in safe mode. Reboot and install MSE.

Sounds to me like you're using an unauthorized copy of Windows. If this is true, don't even bother with anything as we will know and we don't support that here. If it is untrue, then carry on with suggestions.

Last edited:
I didn't have a folder called "Minidump" under the Windows directory. And is what I attached what you wanted?

I also changed the setting to enable Minidump file and I am waiting for my computer to crash again. I also do not have any anti-virus software installed but I did just disable Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.

And my copy of Windows 7 is 100% legal.

Attachments

• JONO-DESKTOP.txt
    72.3 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
Ok so the system crashed in the usual way but no Mindump folder was created. Here are the settings I put.

Attachments

• Startup_and_Recovery.jpg
    Startup_and_Recovery.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,266
But how do I get a mindump to occur? What other info did you need?

Last edited:
Oh, sorry. Here they are

Attachments

• Memory.jpg
    Memory.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,769
  • SPD_Slot_#1.jpg
    SPD_Slot_#1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,209
  • SPD_Slot_#3.jpg
    SPD_Slot_#3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,027
The problem is that your timings are wrong. Set them in the bios manually to be 5-5-5-15-21. Save.

Last edited:
I also don't think I can set them in the BIOS. It is Dell so kinda limited.

Last edited:
Yep, then that would be a huge issue for sure.

At least you know the cause now though and don't have to search for any other reason.

A nice "thank you" would have been nice to see.

Enjoy contacting Dell or whatever it is you decide to do.

If I told you, I'd have to bill and charge you for my time.

Last edited:
Alright then, you're welcome.

It would be fixed by installing RAM that doesn't get set incorrectly with lower than needed timings, by the motherboard. Your guess is as good as mine on which RAM that may be.

Or you can search the net for a 3rd party bios and install, if one has been made, with more choices.

So i put ram in that is a lot slower and it hasent crashed but this is the ram the commputer originally crashed on. Btw this is the most help I've gotten on a forum about this issue. THANK YOU!!!

Back
Top Bottom