Windows 7 windows 7 slow install and won't boot

runmymouth

First off I will list my system so that anyone can point anything out that might be an issue.

CPU - Core 2 E6600
MOBO - P6N SLI Platinum
GPU - Nvidia 8800 gtx ultra
ram - 4 gigs
hard drive - C:\ partition is 2 250gig hard drives in raid 0 (vista install)
hard drive - g:\ partition is 500 gig hard drive (windows 7 install)
I am currently running vista with no issues.
It took my computer 6 hours to install windows 7 and will not boot it up in less than 30 minutes, at which point I gave up.

Any recomendations as to why it will not boot?

well my best guess is that you did not download your beta version from microsoft directly? I would try to reinstall it again and see if that helps it at all. If not redownload it from Microsoft and install it.

I downloaded it directly from Microsoft. I will try redownloading and reburning the image but it had no issues installing the first part where it unloads it from the disk in vista. It seems to have issues when it boots to try to install inside of windows 7. It took forever for it to unpack data.

32 bit vista, 32 bit windows 7 (The windows 7 64 bit kept timing out when I would try to download so I gave up and just took the 32 bit I just assumed it would only let me keep the same 32 bit system to 32 bit system).

I have he same issue. Though the install was not that long, only about 2hrs but via Virtual PC 2007 SP1.

I allocated 1.5GB of my DDR2 800MHz RAM to run it (In total on my PC I have 4GB) and allocated 20GB of RAID5 disk space too. My CPU is a Q6600 and I am running the VM on XP Pro SP3.

Once Win7 was installed even simple things like playing Solitaire was pain stakenly difficult.

My verdict...

Nice, though MS, Make the OS quicker like XP or I will turn to the dark side of the force (Mac OS) :razz:

Last edited:
1. Was it a clean install, or an upgrade?
2. What speed did you burn the ISO with, and which program?

3. Dan, whatever your problem is, it's your problem. I've installed 7 on nearly three year old turions with Virtual PC 2007, and natively. They both took under 30 mins.

I have he same issue. Though the install was not that long, only about 2hrs but via Virtual PC 2007 SP1.

I allocated 1.5GB of my DDR2 800MHz RAM to run it (In total on my PC I have 4GB) and allocated 20GB of RAID5 disk space too. My CPU is a Q6600 and I am running the VM on XP Pro SP3.

Once Win7 was installed even simple things like playing Solitaire was pain stakenly difficult.

My verdict...

Nice, though MS, Make the OS quicker like XP or I will turn to the dark side of the force (Mac OS) :razz:

My verdict on your problem is the fact that your using a VM to run Windows 7.. that in and of itself is the problem.. If you want to really experience Windows 7 Beta the way most of us have been then try installing it on a seperate partition so it can actually utilize all of your pc's hardware and then you'll see that the total install time only takes 20 - 30 mins (depending on which version you install and system hardware of course) on a clean install AND you'll see just how fast and rock solid Windows 7 IS.. ;) And by the way I hate to tell ya but Windows 7 BETA is actually faster than XP SP3 so.. yeah.. :) Hopefully you give my suggestion a try so you can see Win 7 for the gem that it truly is...

Hi folks,

I'm having a similar problem to the OP.

I just bought a brand new SATA HD, and thought, aha I'll use this as my windows 7 drive, and will try the 64 bit version out too, to see how my hardware fares.

I dont have two sata cables yet, so I simply put my new hd inplace of my old one, then booted with the W7 DVD.

So, I installed by booting from the DVD I created using poweriso, with the iso file from the microsoft website.

It found the HD ok, however the install was painfully slow, at around 5 hours.

On the sections of the install where you were required to enter details such as time, or the validation key, the ui would be lagging extremely, with it taking around 5 mins to load each window, and it loading in component parts.

Eventually the install finished, but now if i try and load W7 it never actually gets there (i waited 30 mins and gave up).

So-could this be a sata driver issue? do I need to install the chipset drivers at the beginning of the installation process?

Could it be a corrupt download/burn (remembering that for all intents and purposes it did complete the installation?)

I've yet to try and use the new HD along my existing XP install, will try this later. Any thoughts though?

Spec:

E6600
4gb DDR2
p532sli se deluxe mb
7900 gtx 512mb
soundblaster x-fi xtreme gamer
32-gb SATA II (with xp install)
500gb SATA II (new, empty)

thanks in advance

Tried burning different downloads, on a different comp, and reinstalled again, to no avail.

The HD is up and running fine, tried formatting it in XP, again didn't make any difference in terms of installing W7:(.

Install still takes around 5 hours, extreme slowdown and lag on the Ui during the install process, and eventually, it just sits on a black screen with a mouse cursos, which is moveable, and fails to load any further.

Turning the power off allows windows to attempt to load, but it never completed.

any ideas folks?

Remove some of your RAM

When I first tried to install Windows 7, I encountered the same issue. In my case, I attempted to install 64-bit and (later) 32-bit versions and experienced unreasonable slow down in each case. My system is only a year old and my original Vista install only took 14 minutes or so. When installing Windows 7 on a formatted partition of my hdd (100G) it took 15 or 20 minutes just to get to the "install now" button. I realized then and there that the install would take longer than I was willing to wait. I gave it about 40 minutes and it had only gotten to about 15% in the expanding files progress bar so I shut it down and did some troubleshooting.

Through a bit of a hunch, I decided to try the install with half my RAM. I have 4G RAM (4 sticks running on dual channel) total. After removing 2Gigs the install finished in less than 15 minutes. The OS has been loading fairly stable since.

Unfortunately, I still haven't managed to get the system to run stable with more than 2Gigs installed. Of course Vista still runs fine with ALL 4Gigs installed. I plan on tweaking some voltages later and messing around in BIOS until I find a real fix.

PLEASE POST WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS.

I'm having the same problem, its been 30min now on a second install attempt, and I am still staring at the "setup is starting" screen. Doing a clean install, this system previously had vista64 ultimate on it, butr i wiped the drive for win7 64bit.
system specs:
Amd phenom 9750
asus M3N78pro mainboard
4gigs Kingston hyper-x pc-800 dual channel
8800GT pci-e 1gig vram
8300 on board video hybrid SLI
2xseagate 160 sata in raid0
1xmaxtor terabyte sata
asus IDE dvd burner
generic sata bluray drive(generic meaning i cant remember the name and i dont feel like pulling it just to look for the name lol )
Any help would be well.....helpful :)
Thanks.
I may try pulling a stick of ram as someone else had mentioned, i'll post back if there are any changes.

Ok pulling the stick of ram made it slower :p
I think I might have figured out my problem after trying everything under the sun.
As I mentioned i was running a raid0 setup, what i forgot to say is that it was partitioned into 2 seprate partitions, I had wiped the drive as I previously mentioned for a clean install but I still made 2 different partitions because I usually do a dual boot of windows and linux. so on a whim i decided to delete both and reformat the drive, and voila!! I am now staring at the install screen, the copying files has been at 0% for the last 5min, so i will see what happens, but at least i got a little further :p
hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
So I tried removing 2 of the 1gb sticks of my 4gb, and it worked fine. It not only allowed me to install the 64 bit version, but also cleared up my blue screen crashing in 32bit windows too, the DRIVER IRLQ NOT EQUAL OR LESS error.

I've now run memory tests on both sets of ram indivudually, and they seem fine. yet to try experimenting with 4gb.

There is some correlation here between instabilty in a 64 bit environment, with 4gb of ram, all channels used, and in a 32 bit environment when using a gfx card with over 512mb of ram. Removing half of the memory has cleared up the inabilty of windows to load in 64 bit, and the bsod crashes in 32 bit windows when using a 898mb gfx card.

Main suspects are now insufficient MB voltage going to to the ram, or also a dodgy psu.

I read somewhere re problems relating to installing vista with 4gb, which required 2 to be installed during installation, then after a sp1 update, the second pair could be installed. Not sure if this is an issue but will report back findings.

So I tried removing 2 of the 1gb sticks of my 4gb, and it worked fine. It not only allowed me to install the 64 bit version, but also cleared up my blue screen crashing in 32bit windows too, the DRIVER IRLQ NOT EQUAL OR LESS error.

I've now run memory tests on both sets of ram indivudually, and they seem fine. yet to try experimenting with 4gb.

There is some correlation here between instabilty in a 64 bit environment, with 4gb of ram, all channels used, and in a 32 bit environment when using a gfx card with over 512mb of ram. Removing half of the memory has cleared up the inabilty of windows to load in 64 bit, and the bsod crashes in 32 bit windows when using a 898mb gfx card.

Main suspects are now insufficient MB voltage going to to the ram, or also a dodgy psu.

I read somewhere re problems relating to installing vista with 4gb, which required 2 to be installed during installation, then after a sp1 update, the second pair could be installed. Not sure if this is an issue but will report back findings.

Hi guys,I'm no computer tech-head or expert,but after trying to install win7 on my 4yr old pc for about the 10th time,i had a bit of a brainwave.
Upon every time i tried to install,i would get to the completing upgrade screen,then it would re-boot and i would get the "cannot view this video mode" screen where it would hang for ages and ages!!the last time this happened,i left it for an hour,reset the pc,but put my copy of EDR in the dvdrom drive,this would then give me the opportunity to view the files that win7 had loaded,i navigated to the system volume information folder where there were 2 files,one called boot.sdi(about 4,000KB) and another called winrme(about 134,000KB),i selected both and copied them to the root of my C: drive(where win7 was installed)and then re-booted my pc.Windows 7 has worked for me glitch free since then.Dont ask me why,it just does.
Try this and see if it works for you..

Well for me going to a single partition on my RAID0 setup worked for me, it did finally install and i have been using it ever since. So I hope that helps.
It seems to be a different problem to fix for everyone with this problem, from weird ram problems all the way dow to driver issues, but this is beta software and thats why we are testing it :)

Worked on a new computer. I punted on that machine and put it on its on hard drive in a new machine. This new machine I didn't do any raid and didn't have any problems. Based on what people have said could have been any of the above. I might try again when I have a chance to format and remove the raid partition to see if that solves it.

I finally figured out that I had a ram stick that was not failing all the time but was bad enough to cause my computer to crash on usage of the upper limits of the ram stick. Removing this ram stick seems to have fixed the issue so I can install. Mabey something letting us know what was going on or a debug install mode so that we can see it is hanging up on trying to move stuff in and out of ram would be helpful for figuring out why installations hang?

Your system is fast, so windows 7 must setup fast and perfectly. i don't know how but may be your system has wrong somewhere, may be your main or hardisk

Windows 7 won't install

See here for a potential fix for installation failure:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

well i have to say there most defiantly is an issue with windows 7 as i have tried installing it several times after different downloads, burning again and again and im still taking around 4 hours to install it then about an hour to boot

i have a brand new i7 cpu @ 3.4gh
brand new gigabyte ex58-ud3r motherboard
6 gig of ocz gold ram ddr3
nvidia geforce 295 gtx
1000w coolermaster psu
and enough fans to keep an ice rink frozen
also i have around 2Tb hdd all sata

so you tel me is my machine to slow to have windows 7 ?

i dont think so, so please microsoft how about an honest answer as to what the problem is here because it has been driving me nuts, i really want windows 7 but im seriously thinking to use as linux os so i can get the best of my hardware unless i can have a version of win 7 that wont take this rediculis times to install and boot. :(

very unsatasfied windows user sorry

Last edited:
Back