Windows 7 Windows 7 Startup Problems

xandercage

Hi Everyone,

I'm having trouble starting up my machine. I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop running Windows 7 Ult. x64-bit. Everything was working fine last night(3-5-12) until I had finished playing Dota2 with a friend. The game had froze and I opened task manager (as I have done in the past) and saw that it was not responding. Trying to end the program locked up my computer and it was getting late and I had class in the morning, so I manually shut down the computer and went to bed.

Waking up this morning I tried to boot up my computer with the familiar message that "windows had recovered from an unexpected shutdown" only to find that it was not booting up past the loading screen with the windows logo. I restarted the computer and got the option to run the startup repair. After waiting for 20+ mins, I only got to the blue background screen with a cursor.

Looking online, I found out how and made a repair disc using my roommates computer. I had thought that this would be the answer however after booting it up I got to the "Select You Language" window. After picking English and clicking "Next" the window disappeared and only the blue background with movable cursor remain. It's been like this for 30 mins or so. I have the Install disc at home (I go to away for school) but this is a pretty busy week for classes and I was hoping to get some stuff done on it.

Also, I am unable to access Safe Mode. It loads some of the drivers before it stops and restarts.

Any insight on the problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Since you don't have your disk but have your product key you can download an ISO here Link Removed - Not Found then burn it to disk. Use a write speed of 4X Max. If startup repair doesn't work try a repair install. Laptops can be cranky and sometimes need the manufacturer's drivers. Make sure you download the correct version or your key won't work.
Joe

Since you don't have your disk but have your product key you can download an ISO here Link Removed - Not Found then burn it to disk. Use a write speed of 4X Max. If startup repair doesn't work try a repair install. Laptops can be cranky and sometimes need the manufacturer's drivers. Make sure you download the correct version or your key won't work.
Joe
Yes, I know from experience, laptops (I call them notebooks) can be very cranky. Many times the drivers from the Intel, AMD & NVIDIA sites don't always play well with them. The OEM drivers are usually the safest way to go. Visit the site every now & then for updates.

Another reason that all computer users should burn their recovery disks at first opportunity, and learn where the hotkey is for reinstalling the OS. And to make regular backups of them. Make a backup when the computer is new, after fully updating it, removing what's not wanted (crapware) & installing your favorite software. That way, one has a "fresh install" to fall back on.

Sometimes, especially after such a backup is over a year old, there may be a "black screen" with the warning that you may be a victim of counterfeiting, when recovering with it. But once it's updated, and rebooted, this will go away. It's happened to me twice, because I still have my original backup for my desktop from November 2009, way prior to the Windows 7 SP1 release, and before the update KB971033 was released.

And I keep a second backup, usually taken after Update Tuesday of each month. This at least allows to retain most updates & newly added programs. If I have problems after that update was taken, then I revert to that. If there's any other issue that I harp on other than security, it's backup. This is the time one is needed.

But I learned that the hard way, too. xandercage, can you get the computer to go into reinstall mode?

Cat

Back