Windows 7 Windows 7 stops running

BruceR

Hi I have been running windows 7 for about a year and it has been running fine up until a few days ago when all programmes seem to jam up and my only option is to turn the power off to reset it, I can open excel and word but can't print,email or send anything to disc, I can't even open photoshop, I have bulldog for antivirus but it won't do a scan, I have tried to Restore to an earlier date about a week ago but it isn't able to complete the task, if I try to start in safe mode, it gets as far as a pnp file then jams up.

Does anyone have any ideas for me.

Thanks Bruce

Hello Bruce and welcome to the forum.
Try this and see if it produces any positive results. Just download the program (for your architecture) grab a blank CD and double click the program and it will create a boot CD for you. Just run a full system scan.
http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper
If there are issues found I might suggest reassessing Bull Dog as your Anti Virus solution.
Other than that perhaps a little TLC.
Disk Defrag a couple times. Run chkdsk from an elevated command prompt just type
chkdsk C: /R
and hit enter
answer yes (Y) to the prompt and reboot, let it complete all five stages and check the log file in event viewer after system starts when complete.
Additionally perhaps a disk cleanup either using the built in Windows 7 Disk Cleanup Utility or a third party product like Ccleaner, and check msconfig startup tab and see what's running at startup.
Regards
Randy

Back