Windows 7 Windows 7 stuck at welcome screen. Cannot access Safe Mode.

Thomas Gomez

When I start my computer everything seems to be working fine but after login it says Please Wait then freezes at Welcome screen and the cursor can be moved around the screen and shows the loading icon and the screen also flashes black every few seconds. I've restarted and attempted to access Safe Mode however it also freezes at Welcome screen. I went into the repair system screen and tried a system restore but it says there are no restore points available and I know I haven't deleted my restore points. I've tried disconnecting any of the hardware I've had installed but that hasn't helped either. There also isn't any faulty hardware. When it was last working it said there was a Windows update so I installed the update but when I tried to turn on the computer the next time thats when the problem started and I don't remember what the update was for. I upgraded from Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit about 2 months ago and up until now I've had no problems with it. What can I do?

Here are the system specs:
Dell Inspiron 530s
Intel Celeron 2.00 Ghz
3.00 GB DDR2 RAM (I added 2.00 gigs myself came with 1.00 gig from factory)
Windows 7 32-bit upgrade from Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit
250 Gb Hard Drive

Last edited:
Hi.

If it freezes in safe mode or the welcome screen there, you have a hardware issue.
Remove the 1 GB factory memory and the machine will function perfectly fine. The mismatched ram is messing you up.

Enjoy.

That didn't work. I also tried removing the 2 GB and leaving in the 1 GB but that also didn't work. anything else you can think of?

How long ago dud you update?

How long have you had Windows 7 installed?

Is re-installing a problems for you?I (You'll need to save all important data and re-install all 3rd party programs(. Well worth it though for a system that doesn't crash)

Most everyone here prefers a "clean" install rather than an upgrade as it carries over any conflicts from the other OS

Last edited:
I updated about 2 days ago.
Windows 7 has been installed for 2 months.
If I reinstall will I be able to use the same key? or will I have to purchase another?

No, you can use the same key.

Were you having any problems before upgrading from your previous OS?

You'll need to save all our important documents, pictures, music, zip files, etc to an external flash drive first.

Take you time and go through the fie system throughly.

To be totally sure all the Windows files are gone, I use a program called the Gnome Partition Editor found here: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

You'll need to burn the image to DVD. I use ImgBurn

Now you can create partitions.

I prefer to resize my drive and allocate 60GB for the operating system, and use the other partition for 3rd party applications. When creating the partition, make sure NTFS is selected under the drop-down menu.

Back in Windows, you can now go to Start > Run, and type diskmgmt.msc and create your other partition(s) here.

Need more help, just ask.

When I start my computer everything seems to be working fine but after login it says Please Wait then freezes at Welcome screen and the cursor can be moved around the screen and shows the loading icon and the screen also flashes black every few seconds. I've restarted and attempted to access Safe Mode however it also freezes at Welcome screen. I went into the repair system screen and tried a system restore but it says there are no restore points available and I know I haven't deleted my restore points. I've tried disconnecting any of the hardware I've had installed but that hasn't helped either. There also isn't any faulty hardware. When it was last working it said there was a Windows update so I installed the update but when I tried to turn on the computer the next time thats when the problem started and I don't remember what the update was for. I upgraded from Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit about 2 months ago and up until now I've had no problems with it. What can I do?

Here are the system specs:
Dell Inspiron 530s
Intel Celeron 2.00 Ghz
3.00 GB DDR2 RAM (I added 2.00 gigs myself came with 1.00 gig from factory)
Windows 7 32-bit upgrade from Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit
250 Gb Hard Drive

Your windows profile may be corrupted, I suggest you try enabling the hidden administrator account.

1. Boot from 7 dvd and choose "Repair"

let me illustrate what I mean:

Fixing "BOOTMGR is missing" Error While Trying to Boot Windows

Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7

2. In the recovery options, choose command line and type:

net user administrator /active:yes

hit enter. Reboot.

3. Also, check your hdd for errors:

chkdsk /r

I had this happen with Windows 7 on my old computer.

You don't say that you did a boot repair using the Windows 7 DVD.
If you haven't tried that I would give it a try.

When I did it on my old computer it went though the whole process and gave me a message saying that it couldn't fine a solution to the problem.
I thought, what a pain! Now I'm going to have to reinstall everything, but when I told the computer to try booting normally it did and I never had the problem again.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Well I see that someone else got in while I was thinking about this with a similar solution! LOL
I don't think it would get to the welcome screen without boot-manager working but it could just be a glitch loading some driver.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Mike said:
Well I see that someone else got in while I was thinking about this with a similar solution! LOL

Good Luck.

Yes, beat you by some 12 minutes. No problem at all. Yeah somewhat similar but my idea is to enable the hidden admin account, as his might be corrupted.

That didn't work. I also tried removing the 2 GB and leaving in the 1 GB but that also didn't work. anything else you can think of?

Yes, you still have a hardware issue. Keep the 1 GB out of the machine. Then go into bios and set the memory timings and voltage to be handled automatically, without any manually applied settings. Save.

Back
Top Bottom