Windows 7 Windows 7 Sux

kram66

I've been using Windows 7 for a few months now, and although it started out quite stable, over the past few weeks, it's stability is progressively getting worse. Constant blue screen crashes and if Microsoft that are trying to convince me that this is the way forward, then they should think again. I'm sick of the rubbish that Microsoft release and it's usually takes 2 service packs to get it right. Maybe it's time to buy a Mac!

Last edited:
If your getting blue screen crashes I reckon you have a device drivers issue that needs sorting :eek:

this has always been a problem where windows has to fit to thousands of hardware configurations and the drivers those device manufacturers make often let the whole system down ;)

Apples are stable because there Is only one hardware configuration sanctioned by apple :rolleyes:

But these drivers are installed by Microsoft, I haven't installed any 3rd party drivers at all. Even running this in safe mode sometimes gives me BSOD. If you search Google, you get lots of people experiencing the same issues. It's very frustrating.

Therein lies your problem.... You should always run your machine with the latest drivers.. That way you'll see the benefit of any improvements made..
If you post your macine spec I'll point you in the right direction for drivers...:)

" If you search Google, you get lots of people experiencing the same issues"

Could you give any evidence for that? All the blue screen complaints I have seen jhave been due to reasons which cannot be blamed on Microsoft. Poor and unknowledgeable attempts at customisation, trying to overide activation. Bad downloads from non Micorsoft sites. etc...

If you started out stable, then the progressive deteritation can only be due to your own use.
I have been using Windows 7 right from the first Builds. I have not had the problems you are experiencing. When you first install, The program also installs the latest drivers it has on record from the hardware manufacturers. If you have selected automatic updates, the completed OS will then search the insternet sites to see if any of those drivers have been updated and, in the evnt, install them. At that stage your system should, as you have experienced, be stable.

With the Extensive excellent feedback on Windows 7, if you feel it is "rubbish", then you best follow your own advice and try MAC. As far as OS's are concerned, it is not going to get better than Windows 7 in this moment in time - possibly only subject to some very minor adjustments.

But these drivers are installed by Microsoft, I haven't installed any 3rd party drivers at all. Even running this in safe mode sometimes gives me BSOD. If you search Google, you get lots of people experiencing the same issues. It's very frustrating.

please fill out your system specs including build number etc, with as much detail as pos :cool:

I've had to shutdown the machine, but here's the best guess. Windows is the latest build RC 64bit, but I'll start it up and get the exact build number.

Motherboard ASUS P5Q PRO, Intel quad core 2.8gz CPU, 8 GB memory, ASUS EN9500GT 1GB video card and a hauppauge hvr2200 TV Tuner card. I believe the issue is with the video driver. I'm often seeing a black screen, then a message that states the video driver that has stopped working, but recovered.

The device section does not list anything suspect. I've also performed a memory check without any issue.

I often see BSOD with messages like xxx_not_equal_not_less and win32k.sys errors. Sometime I have trouble starting it up, sometimes it will last for a few hours.

Therein lies your problem.... You should always run your machine with the latest drivers.. That way you'll see the benefit of any improvements made..
If you post your macine spec I'll point you in the right direction for drivers...:)

Latest doesn't mean greatest. This was working fine for sometime, I think after some system updates, I started seeing these problems.

" If you search Google, you get lots of people experiencing the same issues"

Could you give any evidence for that? All the blue screen complaints I have seen jhave been due to reasons which cannot be blamed on Microsoft. Poor and unknowledgeable attempts at customisation, trying to overide activation. Bad downloads from non Micorsoft sites. etc...

If you started out stable, then the progressive deteritation can only be due to your own use.
I have been using Windows 7 right from the first Builds. I have not had the problems you are experiencing. When you first install, The program also installs the latest drivers it has on record from the hardware manufacturers. If you have selected automatic updates, the completed OS will then search the insternet sites to see if any of those drivers have been updated and, in the evnt, install them. At that stage your system should, as you have experienced, be stable.

With the Extensive excellent feedback on Windows 7, if you feel it is "rubbish", then you best follow your own advice and try MAC. As far as OS's are concerned, it is not going to get better than Windows 7 in this moment in time - possibly only subject to some very minor adjustments.

If that's the best I'm going to expect, then it's not good enough! I'm responsible for deciding the IT direction for our company, and we are not small, with an annual turnover of US5billion dollars pa. At at this stage I can't put forward a Windows 7 recommendation. If it won't work on one machine, how can I have confidence on several thousand?

I've had to shutdown the machine, but here's the best guess. Windows is the latest build RC 64bit, but I'll start it up and get the exact build number.

If it's the latest RC then can I ask where you got it as it hasn't been released to the public yet ?

the 7100 version is beta and full of bugs especially with nvidia drivers !

you claim
kram66 said:
I'm responsible for deciding the IT direction for our company, and we are not small, with an annual turnover of US5billion dollars pa. At at this stage I can't put forward a Windows 7 recommendation. If it won't work on one machine, how can I have confidence on several thousand?
yet you post
kram66 said:
Windows 7 Sux
:eek:

Is that a technical term :rolleyes:

If this is the way you come to a forum to bring an issue with a build you cannot even verify then I would question if you are qualfied to advise any company about it's IT rollout ?

maye we could start afresh with you letting us know the verified build number ?

just type winver into the run box :)

I support you in that post, Ickymay! The RC was, in fact released to the public though, but there was no "latest". I have had no issues with serious bugs, using a four year old laptop, which has an onboard Nvidea. But I am willing to acknowledge that I probably got lucky with that!
There is some insistence in the forum that members post their specs. I think it would also help if they automatically posted their builds. At this stage, it would be of enormous help. But this might be considered sensitive and lower the active membership? In fact it is almost a futile exercise to offer help for the earlier builds, as many of the bugs encountered in them have now been eradicated.

Last edited:
Windows 7

I work at a computer store. I fix windows computers for 8 hours a day. I have installed windows seven on several different computers (makes and models) the results have been with mixed emotions. I warn you do not!!!! and I repeat do not!!!! do an upgrade over the top of Vista. You will only find out in more ways than one, that you just upgraded windows millennium over the top of windows 98. In other words big mistake!!!! The clean installs work much better than the "over the top". We just built a $3100 dollar computer for a customer who at the time ordered his machine with vista and free windows 7 upgrade, when it was released. He used the computer for two weeks with Vista, and he said he had no problems (he is a gamer). He wanted 7 because he heard good things about it and so we sent off for his free upgrade when it was released. We tried to save him time by doing an upgrade so he wouldn't have to reinstall everything, we did a 7 upgrade over the top. Wow, what a mistake that guy calls us with so many problems with his game: choppy graphics, freeze frames, slow results, boot problems, etc..... I should have took the time to just do a clean install. I can not believe that Microsoft did not learn their lesson about upgrades, they suck!!!!!!!:frown::frown::frown:

We did another upgrade on a brand new laptop that started off with just the 14 GB Windows Vista Home Premium. When we finished the Windows 7 upgrade it had 25 GB's of pure operating system, now there is no excuse for that.

Windows 7

I work at a computer store. I fix windows computers for 8 hours a day. I have installed windows seven on several different computers (makes and models) the results have been with mixed emotions. I warn you do not!!!! and I repeat do not!!!! do an upgrade over the top of Vista. You will only find out in more ways than one, that you just upgraded windows millennium over the top of windows 98. In other words big mistake!!!! The clean installs work much better than the "over the top". We just built a $3100 dollar computer for a customer who at the time ordered his machine with vista and free windows 7 upgrade, when it was released. He used the computer for two weeks with Vista, and he said he had no problems (he is a gamer). He wanted 7 because he heard good things about it and so we sent off for his free upgrade when it was released. We tried to save him time by doing an upgrade so he wouldn't have to reinstall everything, we did a 7 upgrade over the top. Wow, what a mistake that guy calls us with so many problems with his game: choppy graphics, freeze frames, slow results, boot problems, etc..... I should have took the time to just do a clean install. I can not believe that Microsoft did not learn their lesson about upgrades, they suck!!!!!!!:frown::frown::frown:

We did another upgrade on a brand new laptop that started off with just the 14 GB Windows Vista Home Premium. When we finished the Windows 7 upgrade it had 25 GB's of pure operating system, now there is no excuse for that.

I will tell you first hand that windows 7 is better than Vista but it is not a "light weight operating system". Windows 7 is a modified Vista.

I don't build any machines... I just load mine over and over and over.. and I too can tell you that upgrading from Vista is a huge mistake. Just read these questions people are posting. We wouldn't have anything to do here but chat among ourselves if people just got a new hard drive... installed win 7 to it then copied over what they wanted form the Vista drive.

I totally agree and I have have been trying to work out why Microsoft have allowed, in fact pushed for the upgrade method :confused:

either they need to pull some money in quickly for the next development stage or they are using the PC using public as guinea pigs to see if it's viable :frown:

In my opinion It has never been a good idea to ever do an upgrade with any windows OS and this unsurprisingly still seems the case :eek:

I guess the tradeoff is Microsoft have decided to take the hit short term to gain the market long term :cool:

Microsoft Haunted By Windows 7 Upgrade Issue

Microsoft Haunted By Windows 7 Upgrade Issue

By Kevin McLaughlin, ChannelWeb Link Removed due to 404 Error

8:40 PM EDT Thu. Oct. 29, 2009
Rumblings of discontent within the Windows user community are growing louder this week over Microsoft (NSDQ:Link Removed due to 404 Error)'s failure to provide clear direction on the Windows 7 upgrade process.
For the past several months, Windows 7 testers have been asking Microsoft for technical details on Windows 7 upgrades, but have heard nothing but crickets from Redmond. So Microsoft bloggers have taken matters into their own hands by publishing detailed workarounds for clean installing Windows 7 using upgrade media, something Microsoft says is illegal.
On Tuesday, Eric Ligman, global partner experience lead in Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Group, suggested that these bloggers Link Removed due to 404 Error. Paul Thurrott, author of the Supersite For Windows blog, fired back at Microsoft on Thursday and said the company should have clearly documented the issue months ago.
"I'm not endorsing piracy. Obviously. I'm just trying to support the millions of people that Microsoft fooled into pre-ordering Windows 7 by offering steep discounts, only to discover later that the Upgrade version they purchased unknowingly might not actually install properly," Thurrott Link Removed - Invalid URL.
Ed Bott, another noted Microsoft blogger, believes the lack of communication from Microsoft on this issue has worrisome implications.
"Does Microsoft not understand that information abhors a vacuum and that the most likely outcome of stonewalling on this issue is that people will simply make stuff up or post inflammatory (and wrong) conclusions based on something that happened to a friend of some guy who posted on a message board?" Bott wrote in a blog post.
Microsoft couldn't be reached for comment on the Windows 7 upgrade hack issue, but it's safe to say the problem isn't going away anytime soon.
Microsoft faced the same issue with Windows Vista upgrades, and reacted in much the same way -- by insisting that the Vista upgrade workaround violated its licensing terms and claiming that anyone who used them could run into legal issues down the road. But while no one would argue that software piracy isn't a huge problem for Microsoft, the subtle threats of legal retribution could end up casting a dark cloud over the otherwise successful Windows 7 launch.
Andy Kretzer, director of sales and marketing at Bold Data Technology, a Fremont, Calif.-based system builder, said Microsoft has always treaded carefully when it comes to making any sort of alteration to its software licensing terms, for fear of providing a roadmap for circumventing them.
"Microsoft doesn't want to open loopholes in their licensing, and it's starting to show in the way they construct their licensing terms," said Kretzer. "Take XP downgrade rights for example. When you read the nitty gritty machinations that you have to follow, it becomes very complex."
Microsoft is in a no-win situation because it has to balance the need to fight software piracy with the needs of its customers, notes Michael Cherry, an analyst with Directions On Microsoft, Kirkland, Wash. "You always have this trade-off on how secure you make it, at the risk of making it too hard for average person to work with," Cherry said. "All of the mechanisms that are designed for improper use are an escalating war, and vendors will have to make sure that they don't put too many barriers in place for the people who want to do the right thing."

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I totally agree and I have have been trying to work out why Microsoft have allowed, in fact pushed for the upgrade method

either they need to pull some money in quickly for the next development stage or they are using the PC using public as guinea pigs to see if it's viable

In my opinion It has never been a good idea to ever do an upgrade with any windows OS and this unsurprisingly still seems the case :eek:

I guess the tradeoff is Microsoft have decided to take the hit short term to gain the market long term :cool:

Bottom line is they want their product to be used by the widest market possible. That's why the memory requirements and the default settings are so inefficient... they want Win 7 to run on older machines with little memory. A system sold in the last 3 years will run Win 7 10 times better with a few tweaks.

I would guess that at least 1/3 of their market is customers who don't even know how to type. That doesn't mean they are stupid or ignorant... they are often the kind of people who can do expert percision work in other fields... and just use a computer to help them buy and sell or store data and do billing... etc.

Once upon a time scientiest researched the most efficient method of transport... getting from one place to another... and they found that a soaring Condor used the least amount of energy/distance. Then they put a guy on a bicycle and measured his performance and found it to be nearly twice as efficient as the Condor. Then someone noted that a compuer is like a bicycle for the human mind. ... that boys and girls is our thought for the day. :p

Back