Windows 7 Troubleshooter not working.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Gater, Jul 22, 2011.

  1. Gater

    Gater New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey guys. I am new here. I have been searching for a solution to a problem that i have. None of my troubleshooters work. When i first installed Windows 7, they did work until i let it update. I have seen this problem posted all over with no solutions. I read somewhere that it was a microsoft update that caused this. It was supposed to be a security risk for the operating system, so they sent an update to disable the troubleshooter. Don't know if this is true or not.

    Now that being said. When i open a trouble shooter and hit next it always says; An unexpected error has occured. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue. Then view error details, it says;

    Package ID xxxxxxxxxx
    Path Unknown, non local or C:xxxxxx on some.
    Error code 0x80131700
    Source Engine
    User xxxxxxx
    Context Elevated


    On Path it depends on which troubleshooter you are trying to use, but the rest of the info is exactly the same. I would just like to get the troubleshooter to work. I hate having an operating system that is not completely functional. Drives me crazy. Any help would be appreciated. It is a custom built desktop pc. If in don't give enough info, just let me know what else you need. Hopefully someone can help me out with this. Thanks in advance.


    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    Gigabyte Motherboard GA-880GA-UD3H F6 Bios
    AMD Phenom ii x4 B50
    1 TB Hard drive
    6 GB Ram 1333 MHz

    P.S. Have been uninstalling some of my first updates in hope that it might fix the problem. No luck yet.
     
  2. Captain Jack

    Captain Jack Extraordinary Member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2010
    Messages:
    1,952
    Likes Received:
    139
  3. aec618

    aec618 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had the same issue just come up a couple days ago ( Dec 2014)--I found it when I tried to install a program via CD that wanted to get onto the internet and it wouldn't do it, so I tried to run the troubleshooter. I got the same error message you did. started reading online threads like this one and found all my troubleshooters were doing the same thing.

    Tried to rack my brain for what has changed lately on my PC: my antivirus trapped a Trojan 2 weeks ago successfully; deleted 5 instances of it (don't click on news links that are not from the original legitimate news website you went to lol!). Also when that happened I adjusted Adobe Flash settings in Control panel to delete all stored data, aka "mega-cookies", and I set it to *not* allow it to store stuff on my PC. I also updated the software for my NAS user interface.
    I tried the various solutions seen online:
    --Crypto services--were already running and on automatic.
    -Tried editing the group policy settings I saw listed online--it did not help, so I changed them back. I am just on a home network of two desktops so I really don't use GP. I set everything I'd changed back to "not configured".
    -I did uncheck "server cert revocation" and "publisher cert revocation" in the Advanced tab of Internet Options in IE10. I left those unchecked so unsure if that helped or not. Maybe.
    -I went to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and did a repair of Microsoft NET. No change.
    -I have Norton Utilities, so I ran that to scrub/fix the registry and that didn't fix it either.
    -I ran System File Checker (run menu --> "sfc /scannow"--no problems detected.
    -Last ditch effort, I totally powered down the PC vs. just restarting. I also powered down all the peripherals. I noted the yellow shield present on the "shut down" button, and it installed 1 update at shutdown.
    -So, I restarted after letting everything sit for 30 seconds, and now my troubleshooters are working again. I never did get to change Adobe Flash settings; didn't need to.
    I'm not sure what I did that fixed it, but something along the way did, and I'm grateful. I'm betting it was one or a combination of these tips and for whatever reason it just didn't kick in until I powered down.
    My PC is a homebrew custom; Biostar A880G mobo, AMD Athlon II X3 CPU, 3.3gHz with the 4th core unlocked like a Phenom II; 8GB RAM; NVidia GeForce GT 30 video card; Windows 7 Professional, SP1.

     

Share This Page

Loading...