Windows 7 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit upgrade problems

damoven

I downloaded a legal full iso- en_windows_7_ultimate_x64_dvd_X15-65922

Running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor indicated there would be no problems with an upgrade from Vista 64 Ultimate edition.

Setup starts just fine, but halts at 18% of 'unpacking windows files'. The computer then reboots, and after reboot a message is shown:

"Windows cannot find the file jraid.sys", with error code 0xc0000359

I am left with the option to choose 'setup' or 'vista' to boot. of course, the vista installation is still fine, so I can choose to boot into that, but does anyone know why my setup procedure will not complete?

We all are in agreement on the board that a "clean" Install is the only way to go.

Hundreds of useless files are left on your system when you choose the upgrade route.

Thanks for the advice.

I guess I'll check out the guide posted elsewhere in the forums for "Windows Easy Transfer"

At this point the move to Windows 7 doesn't seem to outweight the pain in the backside of having to reinstall 500gb of stuff.... :confused:

Last edited:
No, I didn't use ImgBurn, but I did burn at a slower than full speed.. I think I burned at 4x not 16x, using Power2Go

I'll try burning the disk with ImgBurn at 4x

After buring at 4x using ImgBurn, it's at 18%, saying "Windows needs to restart your computer" and not progressing, so I guess the burn at 4x didn't work at all. :confused:

The PC is about 6 months old, if that.

It's an Intel quad-core Q6600 processor
8gb PC2-6400C5 RAM
XFX ATI-Radeon HD 4870 graphics card
ABIT IP35 Pro XE motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB SATA-II hard drive
LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray drive

At this point, I'm thinking the .iso itself must be corrupted. Every combination of disk brand/burn speed results in the same problems when expanding the windows files from the CD

Going down to 4gb, then 2gb, didn't make any difference.

I'll try re-downloading the iso, and re-burning, and if all that fails, I guess I'll give up on Windows 7 for now

I had a problem with the 64-bit edition as well.

I ended up locating a quality name-brand DVD and burning the ISO at 1x in ImgBurn and it worked fine.

I was using one of those cheap no name DVD's on a spindle for around $10.00

You get what you pay for.

Good luck:)

Update -

Today I tried burning the iso on different media - Verbatim DVD-R disks, at 2x speed, using my built-in blu-ray/dvd burner, and then the blu-ray dvd-burner in my laptop. Neither disk worked on this PC, with setup halting at the same spot (519mb into extracting windows files)

I've also got a batch of TDK DVD-R disks to try out, on the packaging they are reported as being 1-16x speed, but ImgBurn will only burn them at 4, 8, or 16x speed.

Really at the end of my tether with it now, and considering trying to run the install from a USB stick (I've got an 8gb one) to try and eliminate the burning of the iso as a problem. This is quite frustrating. :mad:

The USB stick is a very good idea:)

Are you still trying to perform an upgrade rather than a "clean" install?

Last edited:
Yes, for now, I'm still trying to get the upgrade to work (can't face the re-install and download of all those WoW patches and steam games).

However I did some digging - I think my problem is caused by the fact my system has JMB38X Product Family
PCI Express to 1394a OHCI and Memory Card Host Controller installed (this is the harware that uses the missing driver indicated by windows)

The device (I think!) gives me 2 firewire ports on the back of my PC. I think because I am doing an upgrade, Windows 7 is trying to extract the relevant driver for this item (as setup has identified it as hardware that needs to be 'ported across' and installed). I think the driver can't be included by MS as a standard part of their Windows 7 build and this is why the setup is falling over.

I wonder if copying the missing driver from my current windows installation to the relevant place in the temporary windows 7 setup directories might solve the problem... of course I could go 1 futher and just ininstall the device and live without firewire ports for a while.... I am considering that approach.

I have a spare laptop at work, so tomorrow, I'll use one of the DVDs I've burned today, and check that it's a good clean install. As I think about this more, I figure it's probably that rogue hardware driver that's tripping me up.

Good troubleshooting.

I believe it's picking it up from the XP version, that's why I always suggest a "clean" install.

Yes, it takes time to re-install your apps, but how long have you been working on this issue?

Well, I moved the offending driver file across. Setup had already hung once (citing the missing driver). So, I moved it to the directory of the temporary windows 7 install.

On reboot, I chose to boot 'setup' rather than Vista. The setup launched, and continued past the point it normally complains about the driver. It booted into full Windows 7 setup, and seemed to get all the way to the end of the process with no problems. Finally, just when I thought it was all working, it presented me with a screen that said "update failed, rolling back to previous windows version"....

So, at least I've proved that the iso and the burn method are ok. This seems to be an issue specific to my machine, and probably the PCI express controller. So, as I see it, I have two options

(1) Back up itunes/windows files/game installs/steam files to a usb hard drive, and do a full clean reinstall
(2) Remove the offending hardware, and try and do the upgrade.

Only 1 winner there, I'll get to doing the hundreds of gig of backups, and then do a full fresh install, and hope that it works...

Ok, did the full clean install, but forgot to remove the partition and remake it first. As a consequence, it's not a *clean* hard drive install and I have some old file structure etc.

As an aside, Windows 7 seems quite happy to use the Vista backup archive that I have got on my USB hard drive. It's just restoring my pictures and music, and game folders to their original locations.

If that all works out, I figure I'll do the partition wipe and reinstall a full clean version tomorrow (now that I know the iso file is ok)

There is 1 unknown device in my device manager which is the rogue controller I mentioned in previous posts. I haven't seen any bad effects as yet from not having the drivers installed but we shall see.

Overall at the moment the system seems slow, and sluggish. Sometimes keypresses seem to be delayed. I expect this is because of the somewhat messy install I've done

Sounds like a good plan.

If you have an "unidentified device", try downloading Link Removed - Invalid URL

Unknown Device Identifier is a useful utility that can identify unknown devices in your system especially after you reinstall your system and cannot figure out what all those yellow question mark labeled devices really are.

Unknown Device Identifier enables you to identify the yellow question mark labeled Unknown Devices in Device Manager. And reports you a detailed summary for the manufacturer name, OEM name, device type, device model and even the exact name of the unknown devices. With the collected information, you might contact your hardware manufacturer for support or search the Internet for the corresponding driver with a simple click.

Well, started this adventure on Friday... and just now, I'm almost there. Just got 1 device to identify and get working. Win7 is installed in a fresh directory, most files are transferred across without problems. Just emptying and reformatting my USB drive for NTFS and then I'll set up a backup image of the PC so I can return to this state if needs be, and of course set up weekly backups of files.

Overall - I'm happy with Win7 so far. I should have just gone with the first suggestion of "fresh install!" :razz:

However - that application you suggested won't seem to run on this pc.. It complains of "priviledged instruction" when trying to run it.... Any ideas?

Back