Windows 7 upgrade from Vista: windows.old folder

Hello all,

I just upgraded to W7 tonight and I have a question (surprise...).

I backed up all my files onto my other hard drives, and made a little list of all the programs i might need to istall because I wanted to to a clean install. To be honest, I don't remember which way I upgraded it, but I wish I had have seen this beforehand: :D

Anyways, whatever I did, the result was that all of my Vista programs and documents got shifted into this "windows.old" folder. I just want to know if I can delete that (knowing that I have already backed up my documents and settings and everything on a different hard drive, and have since migrated them back to the new windows 7 NOT in the windows.old folder, haha).

And if I can in fact delete this 50 GB folder.... I feel like there should be some special way of doing it, no? I mean, can I just right-click and select delete for an old OS? Or should I be using some special esoteric process that I just don't know about?

Hey Drew,

Thanks for the quick reply. I took another detailed look through my old junk, and then followed those steps to delete everything. It all worked perfect.

Thanks again for the help!

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.