Windows 7 Windows 7 Upgrade Induced Connection Problems

Curjos

Recently I upgraded from 32 bit Vista to 32 bit Windows 7 using the UK student offer.

The upgrade went smoothly, although when it had finished I noticed I was having internet problems. I could browse using FireFox, although the connection speed was noticebly alot slower and I could not connect to Windows Live Messenger as well as an MMORPG I play.

I spent some time googling the error messages I was getting when I tried to connect to Windows Live, and eventually after making several fixes, I was able to connect. However, it took a while to connect and it disconnected regularly. I was still unable to connect to the MMORPG I play.

Other people are able to connect to the same router (they both use Vista), so I'm sure that its not a problem with the router. I'm, also able to connect to my mobile internet service using a USB dongle.

Does anyone know whats wrong and how to fix, or having the same problem?

This may be related to the ongoing problem a lot of folks are having, upgrades and some clean installs too. Internet access drops out for no apparent reason. Other computers (Vista or other OS) on the same router do not have a problem.

Some folks have had luck in removing the Bonjour software and service, but that isn't everyone's problem. I removed Bonjour and it is no longer on my system.. tried various NIC driver versions.. disabling receive-side-scaling, IPv6.. and I've tried many other tweaks.. and still the problem persists. I'm checking to see if the Winsock Reset tweak has had any effect, I'll know more when I get home tonight and start using my computer again. If that hasn't done it, I may try a Static IP instead of DHCP off the router.

Really it seems like a Win7 issue since it is affecting many different types of hardware. I didn't have this on Vista with the same hardware. If this keeps up, I may try a clean install of Win7.. if no go there, back to Vista.

I am having this same issue....anyone find a fix?

-Midnight-
We will need some more information in order to provide any useful information. Please click the settings link at the top of this page and on the resultant page on the left click edit profile and fill out your systems specs.
Which version of Win7 (pro, ultimate, home premium) (32 bit, 64 bit). How did you install it, (upgrade, custom clean install). How are you connecting, (wired, wireless) (router, direct to ISP provided device). What exactly is your problem?
Network adapter, (manufacturer, model name, model number, version information).

I "had" the exact same problem except for the fact I was utilizing Vista 64bit and upgraded to 7 Ultimate 64bit. What worked in my case was a simple upgrade to my motherboard software! Apparently my Ethernet driver from Vista was not compatible with the 7 upgrade. A visit to my motherboard website (XFXForce.com)and I found the updated software!

What was happening in my case was I could get a connection but as soon as I downloaded files or brought up websites it would disconnect. I could change adapter settings (disable and enable) which would give me my connection back. But as soon as data started to pass through - it would disconnect immediately! I have my pc hardwired through my wireless router which it would also crash. So when I lost connection, it shut down my wireless as well (wife wasn't happy)! After a couple of weeks of having my internet provider out to the house they assured me it wasn't their problem.... Spending hours in the forums and trying endless tricks that got me no where, I stumbled across a person who stated they updated their motherboard software and the problem went away!! I tried it and I am happy and loving Windows 7!

My system:
XFX NVIDEA 780i SLI motherboard
Intel Q9550 QuadCore Processor
XFX XPS 850 watt PU
8GB DDR2 RAM
2x WD 1 TB HD's
2x NVIDEA GTX 280 (1GB) GPU's
Logitech G15 Keyboard, G9 Laser Mouse, G51 5.1 Surround System
2x Dell U2410 Monitors

Back