Windows 7 will not recognize my external hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by billie, Jun 14, 2010.

1. billie

billie Senior Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I had used it before with this computer, for a backup in January probably, but I went to use it to back it up again recently, and it did not work. It does not show up anywhere on the computer, though the drive lit up and started. It's a Seagate Expansion 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive. It does not show on disk manager. When I plug this into the USB, it shows a yellow flag next to Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller-2934 and next to Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller-293A. These work with every other USB device I have tried, though. Seagate says if it worked before then it's not their problem. Does anyone have any ideas?
  2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Aug 27, 2008
    This is just a guess here, it sounds like the usb cable was unplug with out using the safely remove icon in the notification area. Some times when a device is unplug with out using the safe to remove button, it can render that device useless. Is there a reset button on the hard drive? A reset might help it or a power on/off button. Push and hold down on on/off button for 30 seconds for a reset. To check the device, plug into another usb port on your pc to confirm connection. Also try connecting it to a different Pc and see if it confirms connection.
  3. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    It sounds to me like your drivers for those devices have gotten messed up or are missing.

Double-click on the device with the yellow flag and select: Update Driver option and see what happens.

If you have the Intel Chipset Driver Info stored somewhere, in a folder format with all the drivers listed inside sub-folders, you can point the update to that folder and it should help.

The following is from the READ ME text file in the Intel Chipset Info Driver folder:

#3 Nibiru2012, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010