Windows 7 windows explorer crashes when opening a folder

Windows upgrade from Vista. Upgrade worked fine until recently(possibly after an automatic update) Problem is when I try to open a folder I get a message that: Windows has stopped working. Gives me the option to search for a solution and restart or just restart. Details on this are listed<>Event name:APPCRASH
Application name: EXPLORER.EXE
Application Version6.1.7600.16450
Fault Module frame:EXPLORERFRAME.dll
This problem seems to be increasing. I have Norton security provided by Comcast. Ran all scans numerious times. Have Registry utilities pro by Avanquest, ran that several times.
Did not help
I am getting frustrated with this problem. Anyone know what to do?

Have you done any modifications to ExplorerFrame.dll, such as skinning with 3rd party applications etc. ?

Have you tried logging in with a different user account, do the crashes occur as often?

~~~~~~~~~

High level of hard disk fragmentation sometimes causes windows explorer crash. Defragment your disk.

~~~~~~~~~

Suggestions (a list of what to try):

1. Take good hard look at what software you have installed, a good chance some software is causing the error.

2. Perform a clean boot:

Start -> msconfig -> general tab -> selective startup -> clear the load startup items

Start -> msconfig -> general tab -> services tab -> hide all Microsoft services -> then Disable all

Restart

3. Start -> gpedit.msc -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Internet Communication Management -> click Internet Communication settings -> Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program -> Enable -> Apply -> Ok.

4. Start -> cmd -> reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting" /v CorporateWERServer /t REG_SZ /d "NoServer"

5. Start -> Regedit:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions

delete all string key except the default inside "Disabled Sessions"

6. C:\Windows\explorer.exe -> copy to -> C:\Windows\system32

7. Replace EXPLORERFRAME.dll with the one from 7 installation dvd (if available).

Excellent post by Cybercore. I'll be so bold as to venture a guess that Norton could be causing this.

Cybercore does have some good options that I intend to try. I'm not so sure as to blame Norton Security. Comcast changed from McAffe to Norton a few moths ago. I installed Norton on 2 XP computers and I have not had the same problems with them except that they are both Dells and are slow as sh**. Could there be an issue with Win 7?

Absolutely not an issue with Windows 7. I see Norton causing problems all over the place still to this day, so that's why I say it could be that. Also, since it's an antivirus, it is in the best position to do so.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.