Windows 7 Windows 7 wont boot, says NTLDR is missing on startup...

Lnwasins

Windows 7 wont boot, says NTLDR is missing on startup...

So I recently upgraded from windows xp to windows7, I went about installing well the wrong way. I Installed windows 7 from the downloaded file onto a empty hard drive I had attached to my computer. I did this all while xp was still running. Anyway it worked and windows 7 always booted up and worked just fine. But NOW!! I removed the attached hard drive where xp was installed and I try to use win 7 but it says NTLDR is missing at startup .
I cant repair with a windows 7 disk because I have problems with my cd rom too!
So I need a solution to repair windows 7 without windows 7 disk .Any Ideas?
I also cant repair it with USB because I cant boot from USB.
Any Ideas?

Can you use the F8 options for Windows 7. Perhaps a Startup Repair would fix the boot.

Last edited:
You can't do a job without the tools you need and your hard drive is unbootable, your cd-rom is unbootable and your usb dvices are unbootable! I suggest you get the cd-rom fixed then you can run a repair from there.

With your system, it might not. But on many systems, hitting F8 after the splash screen will bring up Recovery options.

Could you boot into Windows 7 and use the snipping tool to take a picture of your Disk Management window and attach using the paperclip. Make sure to include the graphical representation for the drives and expand so we can read the comments.

Windows very carefully registers where it is installed. You installed Windows 7 in an existing XP environment... and then you took that environment away. Expectations? PROBLEMS.

"So I need a solution to repair windows 7 without windows 7 disk .Any Ideas?"
No disk? How come? If you have a legal Windows, ask Microsoft. With proper codes, they'll help you.

Hello Lnwasins,

But NOW!! I removed the attached hard drive where xp was installed and I try to use win 7 but it says NTLDR is missing at startup .

If you put that drive back in, you should be able to boot up, that's where your boot ini. files are.

You need to place your Windows 7 ISO download on to a DVD, get a DVD/rom for your PC, then remove the XP drive and reinstall Windows 7 from your newly created disc.
You can also call Microsoft or order a replacement DVD online, all you need is a valid Windows 7 Activation Key, replacement DVD's should be about $15, at least it was when I ordered mine a few years ago.

Hope this helps
Don

Back