Windows 7 Windows 7 wont complete setup installation

rickbolinski

I am trying to install my windows 7 and it wont complete the setup. After all the files load from my original disks, the computer restarts and starts the setup but its been a blank screen for over 2 hours now and still nothing. I can use the restore from an image file and it sets up in 30 minutes and works but i have no home group setup and cant read some external hard drives right so I wanted to try a clean install. The computer is a Gateway 64 bit. Any ideas whats holding up the setup?

Rick

Hi

What are you installing from?

Is it a Windows 7 disk from Gateway or a Downloaded ISO file.

Are you trying to run an upgrade or custom install?

The whole process shouldn't take much more then 15 or 20 minutes.

The most common reason for a install failure is bad media.

So if you don't have factory disks maybe it would be worth trying to download the ISO and burn a new disk.
Burn it at the slowest possible speed.

Download Windows 7 (SP1 included) Free

I use ImageBurn to make disks like this you can download it for free.

ImgBurn - CNET Download.com

Here's some info on doing a repair install.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

If you can't get it to work maybe you could restore it, and we could work on the other issues.

Mike

Yes it is the original install disks that I created from the Gateway recovery when I purchased it and also have tried several ISO and an xp disk and they all stop AFTER the files are copied and the when it re boots and says windows is setting up that's as far as it goes using a custom/reformat clean install but when i use the restore selection it goes on ok but I have problems with the windows 7 like no setup for homegroup, and cant read a external hard drive properly even though i can when i plug it into my other computer.

How about restoring it, and doing a repair install, does that work?

Have you tried restoring it and then running System File Checker, to see if there are any errors?

From the elevated Prompt Right click on the Prompt Icon and select run as administrator. Then type…

SFC /scannow

Scans and restores system files.

I see lots of people having this problem, the answers don't seem to fit your situation, every thing from the wrong ram voltage set in bios to the wrong disk format. The fact that it won't install Windows XP either would seem to indicate some problem in the hardware.

Try running Windows Compatibility test and see if it comes up with anything in the way of errors.
I know that it already runs Windows 7 but there may be something that will show why the install is failing.

You could try removing half of you ram and then the other half and see if that helps.

Make sure that nothing is plugged into the computer except your internet connection, mouse and keyboard.
Not your external hard drive, since you are having problems reading it that could cause a problem.

If you have access to another hard drive you could try switching them out if this is a PC and not a laptop.

What version of Windows are you trying to install?

This is hard to pin down, installing should be fool proof unless there is a problem with the hardware.

Mike

I found this...

In case anyone else comes looking for a solution here, I've had success by ejecting and reinserting the DVD after the hang.
Also try disabling FDD (floppy Drive) in the bios.

Last edited:
I am running sfc /scannow now so we will see but i have noticed a file in my startup that is not famaliar called Hvsisp.exe and i cant remove it.
It is in
App\Data\Roaming. Now I may have a program that uses this but the details say Unknown and up to now i have been able to remove all
start ups.Is there any chance its a virus/Trojan that can do this kinda damage? I find it interesting that it doesn't show whats in my external drives and which i am seeing a folder called Recycler! Is that normal? The version of windows is Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit that came with the Gateway but I have 2 other copy's of Win 7 along with every version since 3.1 and as i mentioned even XP stalls on setup. Their has to be a connection why my Homegroup is unavailable also. It was working fine when I created the image backup which i am using now. This is the worst problem i have ever encountered.

Just finished scan and no problems.

Last edited:
I don't have a Hvsisp.exe file on my computer and a web search didn't turn up any reference to it.
That is unusual almost any file you search for shows up someplace.

Install CCleaner and look in start up items, see if there are things that you don't need.
CCleaner makes it easy to turn them on and off, so you can experiment safely.

I have more then half of the things that would normally start turned off.

I don't have any other ideas, I don't know why the install fails, or why it won't read your external drives.

Do the external drives show up in Disk Manager?

Mike

Yes it is the original install disks that I created from the Gateway recovery when I purchased it and also have tried several ISO and an xp disk and they all stop AFTER the files are copied and the when it re boots and says windows is setting up that's as far as it goes using a custom/reformat clean install but when i use the restore selection it goes on ok but I have problems with the windows 7 like no setup for homegroup, and cant read a external hard drive properly even though i can when i plug it into my other computer.
This has worked for me numerous times. Boot into your Windows 7 as normal. Go to your CD-rom [ISO] and double-click on the install exe. Choose "Upgrade." This will tell Windows 7 a white lie. Follow given directions. Enter key. Done.

This will correct any malfunctions in your Windows 7 while keeping the current configuration. This means you do not have to reinstall all of your external software's. The following link is where I learned this useful information.

Win7′s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall
http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win ... reinstall/

Thanks Mike, the CCleaner worked and removed that entry. Currently i am running a registry repair program just in case and another reply has another idea on a repair install.

Woops, its back. What is that thing? I installed the windows 7 using upgrade and it worked but i still cant get a read on my externals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom