Windows 7 x64 SP1 - unending crashes

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Totenglocke, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Totenglocke

Totenglocke New Member

I've been using Win 7 64-bit since the beta and no issues at all - until I installed SP1. Now I get constant lockups and it seems to be related to the video driver about 50% of the time. I've done a clean install of the latest driver, tried removing SP1, done a system restore to before SP1 (clean driver install after that too) and nothing seems to work. I'm thinking I'll have to reformat (which I really don't want to do).

Any ideas on how to fix this other than reformatting?

2. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

Did you try Driver Sweeper when updating the video driver? It removes all of the old driver stuff.
    Joe

3. Totenglocke

Totenglocke New Member

It's an nvida card and with their new drivers, they have an option to wipe the old driver completely and do a completely new driver install (which I did). I'll try out driver sweeper though (if I can get the system to run long enough to use it).

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Are you showing any error messages in event viewer? Do you show having received an update through Windows update for your video device?

You might try running a re-assessment for the Windows Performance index, maybe a video problem will show up. You could also run the DXdiag to see if anything shows up there.