Windows 8 Windows 8.1.1

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
Best title I could think of! lol

The Iso for windows 8.1, including the update, is now available on MSDN for subscribers.

Thanks Dave....I wish that they (MS) would link it for all of us....not just the TechNet/MSDN and MVP's subscribers.

Win 8.1 Update 1 installed.
Image 7.jpg

Notes :
KB2919442 should have been installed a while back. If so, you will be told it is already installed.
KB2939087 is not required. You'll get a 404 File or directory not found message. Ignore this KB.
Sound was lost. I had to re-install sigma tel driver which is required for my Dell Inspiron.

Other than that, all went well.
Not sure what are all the differences. The following 2 are what I have noticed......
Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Last edited:
I had been using Start8.
I uninstalled it just to see what the native Win 8.1 Start button has to offer.
This is what I have found....
1. The rumour of MS bringing back Start Menu does not happen. Maybe it will be in Win 9.
2. Left click at the Start button will go to the Metro Start screen. That bypasses the charm bar step.
3. Right click at the button will get this.........

1.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. It was only a rumour. There was never any mention of it from MS sources.

Fwiw. My OP was referring to the full Windows 8.1 ISO, including the update. I believe that was also what Bassfisher was referring to. Both the full ISO and the standalone Update are available on MSDN. Curiosity drew me to the full ISO, which I have now installed with all my original software. No problems at all. I also ran the update with no problems, on anther installation.

As has been said by those who are running the leak already, this is not really anything to get excited about. In view of the update size. I am guessing it may have included a few bug improvements, but nothing that I can detect.
I cannot remark on the power menu additions which you have shown. I had already customised mine extensively, so couldn't remember the original. I think (?) the left/right click always did that?

I am hoping that some drivers such as Microsoft's Sculpt touch mouse get updated, and some Windows 7 drivers that are still being used in Windows 8.1 get replaced with current and more proper versions. I can live without a Microsoft specific start button, as there are replacements for that available. It would also be nice if Windows Store Apps would get a little better, as they could certainly use some improvement.

One thing I have found. This has been prevalent since Windows 7 and not confined to the new update.
I was constantly losing my internet connection. I had experienced this, before, on my own computers and those of clients. , but now it was chronic. My procedure, which worked once again, was to uninstall (not disable) the "Realtek Family Controller" and install an original, and quite old, driver from the motherboard manufacturers site.

Yep the same for me on my laptop....same procedure as well...knock on wood....all seems to be working as it should so far.

Back