Windows 8 Windows 9

bucK94

Dobrý den,
Chtěl bych si koupit nový tablet s Windows 8.1 and I dont know nothing about OS on tablets.. So, my question.. When I will buy Windows 9 licence, will can I install it on my Tablet or OS on tablet is different ?

Díky za vaše answer :)

Hi

It depends on how different the OS is.

If you buy a Windows tablet that is running Windows 8 or 8.1, then I would assume that you could install Windows 9 on it, but if you have a tablet running Android or an Apple operating system you wouldn't.

There has been a lot of suggestion that Windows 9 upgrade will be available free to Windows 9 users but that hasn't been confirmed.

It appears that there will be a lot of new information available this coming Tuesday, the 30th, when Microsoft announces the existence of Windows 9 or whatever it's going to be called officially.

It's expected that the Beta or Test version will be released to the public for testing at about the same time.

Mike

They say that 9 is an 'upgrade' for 8.1 and latest news is that it will be free - at least that's what one Microsoft executive said.

And it looks like anything (or maybe I should say IF anything) that comes out of Tuesday's Event will likely be something called a CTP or Community Technology Preview and may not be generally available. That will likely be followed pretty closely with the Consumer Preview which will likely be generally available although, of course, both will be time bombed and will not function past a certain date. Then will come the RTM Release To Manufacturers followed by a GA General Availability release of the finished product which looks like sometime in April of 2015. So it looks like the next 6 (six) months or so, might be at least a little interesting.

Last edited:
Just spoke with a friend who told me that Microsoft is going to dump 9 and come out with 10 any rumors
to that?

To be clear, this is completely different to windows 8 (update 2) so put away all your hate for 8 and buy it… please, please, please? :rolleyes:

I have it on my "to do" list.

To be fair, it is not a name switch by MS. I could be mistaken, but they have, from the start, only made references to "the next OS", and the builds as Threshold. It is only the media who have consistently referred to it as 9.

I am confused.........

In Zdnet.com, it says " The Enterprise Technical Preview (Build 9841) will work on x86 machines only. "

While in DigitalLife.info it says that MS Partners can access Windows 10 download from TechNet, and the list includes both x86 and x64. ( I know, I am not MS Partner.)

One source (Zdnet) uses the term Enterprise Technical Preview, while the other source(DigitalLife) uses the term Windows 10.

Were they talking about 2 different thing ?

Furthermore, a month ago I installed VMware Player, getting ready for the preview version.
It was installed on my Win 7 64-bit laptop.
If The Enterprise Technical Preview (Build 9841) will work on x86 machines only, do I have to use my old 32-bit laptop and install VMware Player again ?

According to Mary Jo Foley:

The Enterprise Technical Preview (Build 9841) will work on x86 machines only. Microsoft is not yet making available a test build of the ARM version of Windows 10. Microsoft officials said to expect that more consumer-focused preview to arrive in early 2015. (Previous leaks have pegged availabiity of the consumer preview to the January/February 2015 timeframe).
ref:
http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-10-whats-new-and-how-to-get-the-preview-bits-7000034210/

So the Technical Preview (Build 9841) will work on x86 only whilst a consumer based preview (likely to contain a x64 version) won't be available until early next year.

To answeer the vmware question, no... you can install X86 systems on a 64bit host but not the other way round so you are ok
davidhk129.

For anyone with an MSDN sub, they are also available there. Quite a fast download!

Ok. I joined the Insider Program.
Now, I am downloading the Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO for my VMware Player. Probably will take more than an hour.
Guess what, both 32-bit and 64-bit are available. So, this one I am downloading is not the Enterprise version ?
I am confused ..... again.

Image 1.png

Well it's supposed to be the Enterprise edition and as you say all the flavors are there. Technet and MSDN are carrying the same 32 and 64bit although slightly different wording to their titles..

Since I started replying here, I'll finish it here instead of starting a new thread.

Windows 10 Technical Preview is successfully installed to my VMware Player.
Took quite a while as it is a complete new install.
I'll just post 3 images for those who has yet to install........
P.S. in screenshot #3, computer is still listed as This PC. I read somewhere sometime ago that it was to be named to something else. Didn't happen..... yet.

My desktop ......
1.png

Start Menu .........
2.png

Windows Explorer......
3.png

Last edited:
Back