Windows 10 Windows Activation

NettleWarbler

Honorable Member
Hello all , I bought a Windows 10 Pro x64 dvd , I installed it yesterday . It was on a very long time I chose keep folders and apps , and everything went well . It first updated to a newer windows version then it installed , the thing that puzzles me is I didn't have to enter the product key . I enclose a photo from system and settings from control panel , I left it a long time while it updated and installed and re-started etc . But I definately did not enter a product key , can someone please have a look and see if every things alright . Thank you
Windows Activation.JPG

Everything is fine, If the OS you updated from was activated with a digital license then so will windows 10.

No need, open a command prompt and run slmgr /dlv will show your activation status

nmsuk , yes it is activated , I was hoping to try the DVD serial number to make sure it was working ok .

Attachments

• Activation.JPG
    Activation.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 395
Windows is activated and ready to go! Your install was activated using a digital license.

Last edited:
nmsuk , I was hoping to try the product activation number to make sure that was working ok .
Just to add to NMSUK's post.

The way Microsoft handles keys with Windows 10 is different to previous windows versions.

If you at some point did the free upgrade to windows 10 on your machine then you would have been allotted a digital licence ( called digital entitlement) which is stored online.
This means that as soon as windows 10 is installed it will be automatically activated using the digital key.

The only time this would change is if you move to a new machine.

The original upgrade agreement for Windows 10 is OEM and tied to the machine the upgrade was performed on and non transferable. ( This is regardless of the previous windows licence oem or not)

So basically just hang on to the key. The only time you will need it is if you move to a new machine or you had to buy a new motherboard ( Microsoft considers this as a new computer).

Back