Windows Appearance

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by wahn, Nov 3, 2009.

1. wahn

wahn New Member

I recently installed Registry Mechanic. I "optimized my services" with this program. Windows then switched from a Vista Appearance to a Windows XP appearance (ie. the taskbar is now grey instead of black) How do I reverse this in Vista?

2. Celestra

Celestra Former Moderator

System restore

Have you tried using System Restore? Next time uncheck "Windows Appearance" when using "Registry Mechanic".

3. wahn

wahn New Member

The appearance has already changed so now I need to know how to get it back.

4. wahn

wahn New Member

I ran Registry Mechanic on both my laptop and my desktop. Both of these machines ran a windows that had become severely degraded. Registry Mechanic made both computers ran significantly faster and smoother. There are no problems.

However, the software changed the appearance of my computer. Doping this isnt magic. I once canged the appearance of my windows like this manually, *but i forgot how*. Does anyone here know how to make my windows look like Windows Vista with the black toolbar and black window surroundings. Currently it looks grey like Windows ME.

5. Celestra

#5 Celestra, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  6. wahn

wahn New Member

Many thanks for this link celesta. Unfortunately, the "Windows Vista Basic" appearance theme/optionj doesnt seem to exist in the menu I pull up by clicking "Windows Color and Appearance". All I have is "Windows Classic" and "Windows Standard" along with some other color themes...

7. Celestra

8. wahn

wahn New Member

Many thanks Celestra!

Do you have a similar guide for Windows XP?

9. village idiot

village idiot New Member

Drew is dead on the mark, I've played around with some of these programs just to see what there all about and if indeed the live up to what they are meant to do, and they don't, they do more bad than good, Registry is not some thing you just want to be "cleaning" out. There's normally good sound computing reasons as to why things are were they are!

#9 village idiot, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  10. wahn

wahn New Member

Doesnt the fact that Windows Me, XP and Vista ALL DeGRADE bother you guys? Registry Mechanic really sped up my windows and theres nothing wrong with my machine.

11. Celestra

Sure

How to Change the Taskbar Color | eHow.com

I use RegCure. If you don't mess with it, and just let it look for errors, it doesn't do much harm. The "Performance Software" is what really destroys your Windows Program.

Sometimes things get deleted or cleaned too much... If a program hasn't been used for a long time older pieces get thrown away. (Time for a re-install)

#11 Celestra, Nov 5, 2009
  12. village idiot

village idiot New Member

Not really, just backup and clean install:cool: If I do use such Registry cleaning program it's CCleaner, and I only bother with the Registry part of it every once in while.

#12 village idiot, Nov 5, 2009
  13. jeanlee411

jeanlee411 New Member

any thanks for this link celesta. Unfortunately, the "Windows Vista Basic" appearance theme/optionj doesnt seem to exist in the menu I pull up by clicking "Windows Color and Appearance". All I have is "Windows Classic" and "Windows Standard" along with some other color themes...