Windows Vista Windows Appearance

wahn

I recently installed Registry Mechanic. I "optimized my services" with this program. Windows then switched from a Vista Appearance to a Windows XP appearance (ie. the taskbar is now grey instead of black) How do I reverse this in Vista?

System restore

Have you tried using System Restore? Next time uncheck "Windows Appearance" when using "Registry Mechanic".

I ran Registry Mechanic on both my laptop and my desktop. Both of these machines ran a windows that had become severely degraded. Registry Mechanic made both computers ran significantly faster and smoother. There are no problems.

However, the software changed the appearance of my computer. Doping this isnt magic. I once canged the appearance of my windows like this manually, *but i forgot how*. Does anyone here know how to make my windows look like Windows Vista with the black toolbar and black window surroundings. Currently it looks grey like Windows ME.

Fix Registry Mechanic

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Make sure you untick "Windows Appearace" in your Registry Mechanic or it may change it for you again...

Last edited:
Many thanks for this link celesta. Unfortunately, the "Windows Vista Basic" appearance theme/optionj doesnt seem to exist in the menu I pull up by clicking "Windows Color and Appearance". All I have is "Windows Classic" and "Windows Standard" along with some other color themes...

Vista Basic?? Do you want to enable GUI ?

Link Removed - Invalid URL

This uses more resources, that is why "Registry Mechanic" probably turned it off. Maybe you had it enabled ?

Sorry but, I can't bite my tongue (opinion, though this may be, maybe)

Don't use reg clearners or other such 'wonder drugs' that mention the word Registry... don't play in that sandbox. I swear the damn things will break or screw up more than they "clean".

Now (that I got that off my chest) get rid of the reg cleaner thing 1st then do a Sys Restore. If that doesn't fix things do a Repair w/ the OS disc.

Thanks

Drew

Drew is dead on the mark, I've played around with some of these programs just to see what there all about and if indeed the live up to what they are meant to do, and they don't, they do more bad than good, Registry is not some thing you just want to be "cleaning" out. There's normally good sound computing reasons as to why things are were they are!

Last edited:
Doesnt the fact that Windows Me, XP and Vista ALL DeGRADE bother you guys? Registry Mechanic really sped up my windows and theres nothing wrong with my machine.

Sure

Many thanks Celestra!

Do you have a similar guide for Windows XP?

How to Change the Taskbar Color | eHow.com

I use RegCure. If you don't mess with it, and just let it look for errors, it doesn't do much harm. The "Performance Software" is what really destroys your Windows Program.

Sometimes things get deleted or cleaned too much... If a program hasn't been used for a long time older pieces get thrown away. (Time for a re-install)

Last edited:
Doesnt the fact that Windows Me, XP and Vista ALL DeGRADE bother you guys? Registry Mechanic really sped up my windows and theres nothing wrong with my machine.

Not really, just backup and clean install:cool: If I do use such Registry cleaning program it's CCleaner, and I only bother with the Registry part of it every once in while.

Last edited:
any thanks for this link celesta. Unfortunately, the "Windows Vista Basic" appearance theme/optionj doesnt seem to exist in the menu I pull up by clicking "Windows Color and Appearance". All I have is "Windows Classic" and "Windows Standard" along with some other color themes...

Back