Windows 7 Windows backup fails with error code: 0x80070002

Lester

Honorable Member
Hi, I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate on a Lenovo computer, 8 mb RAM, Q8200 CPU. Recently I started getting notifications that my backup failed because the system cannot find the file specified, and the above error code. I'm not specifying any files, and I've reset backup to its default settings, all to no avail. I'm backing up to an external USB hard drive. In fact I bought a new one because I thought the old one was too small. Same problem.

I've already looked at the MS knowledgebase and downloaded and installed the update that they recommend there, to no avail. Any other ideas?

Just a quick follow up: I downloaded Paragon Free Backup and it gave me a read error as well. So I did what I should have done first, did a sector level chkdsk. If finished after I went to bed, but at that point had found six bad clusters. Image backup still won't work, but I've copied off my data manually, which worked fine. So I'll do the chkdsk again when I get home. Probably more errors. Bad sign, and this is already my second HD for this machine...

How about going through your backup process for us step by step and what you see on each screen as far as backup devices available?

Do you have normal access to the external drive? Does Disk Management show the external drive normally? Which version of Paragon are you using?

Sorry to take so long. Chkdsk showed a number of problems. Finally got them all fixed, created a backup image and replaced the drive. Not sure if the drive was bad or not, so I'll probably reformat it and try it for a spare. But when I had my machine apart I noticed it only had a 280 watt power supply. I upgraded to bigger video card a while ago, so I'm sure that's too small. I'll replace it to and see if that all helps.

Lester

Back