Windows 7 Windows cannot install drivers for this device error code 31

rvail54

In the device manager my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2 driver has this error I need help on how and which driver to install on my Windows 7 Samsung laptop

Hi rvail54 and Welcome to The Forum,

Could you give us a few more details on how you're trying to install these drivers? Through the Device Manager? From a downloaded set-up either automatically or manually?

If you right click the device, select properties >> driver tab >> driver details button, in the upper window, what driver names can you see? (they'll end with .sys)

Finally what system are you running, 32bit? 64bit?

I am running 64 bit and there is three in the box they are Rt64win7.sys RtNicProp64dll and RtnUninst64dll

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller v7.048 If you're unsure about manually installing drivers then choose the Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1469821) option to download.

Windows Update and Device Manager are known to update drivers to an older version. Use them as a last resort if you cannot locate drivers from your PC/Mobo Mfr(s) Or the vendor.
To stop Windows Update and Device Manager taking control of your driver installs:
  • GoTo Control Panel and set the view to Small Icons. Then select Device and Printers.
  • When you open Device and Printers a yellow options bar will slowly drop down, click on it.
  • Then click on Open device installation settings.
  • In the new Window that opens select No, let me choose what to do and Never install driver software from Windows Update.
  • You can tick the Replace generic device icons box if you wish.
  • Finally Apply Settings.

For Info: Driver Install - Manual method

1. Download the driver and extract it to a folder.
  2. Open the Device Manager.
  3. Right click the device you wish to change the drivers for. You can select Properties > Driver > Driver Details to check you have the right device.
  4. Choose Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software.
  6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. Select Have disk...
  8. Select Browse..
  9. Navigate to the extracted folder and double click on the .inf file
  10. Hit OK, then Next and the driver(s) will then begin to install.

Back
Top Bottom