Windows 7 Windows Disc Image Burner Does Not List DVD Burner

petes457

I have installed two different Windows 7 builds on a particular home-built machine I have at home - build 7000 and now build 7201. The computer was made as a backup machine out of older components, but operates very well when not stressed and utilizing clean installs. However, the machine has a problem I don't understand. I have a DVD burner on the machine - a Samsung SH182H - that has performed well under Vista. When I wiped the machine and installed a clean install of build 7000 when it first came out, Windows recognized the drive and listed it as a "DVD RW" drive in Windows Explorer. I was able to burn a couple of ISOs in the drive using the right-click "Burn Disc Image" menu item, which brought up the dialog box where I could choose my Samsung drive and Burn. However, one day soon after the install, I went to burn an image and when the dialog box popped up, there were no drives listed in the drop-down list box. I just put this down to it being beta software. Anyway, I have now upgraded to a clean install of build 7201. Right from the start after the install, I went to right-click on a ISO to burn the image, the dialog box popped up - and once again, no drives are listed in the drop-down box. The drive is listed in Windows Explorer as "DVD RW" and I am able to read from the DVD drive. The DVD burner is loaded with the latest firmware (S06) from Samsung.

Any ideas why the drive is not recognized by the Windows Disc Image Burner application? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks Drew for the link. But isn't this a third-party image burning program? If I still have not found a resolution to why Windows 7 won't burn ISOs, I may resort to this. But I'm hoping to determine why the Windows 7 built-in disc burning program is not working. I would prefer to add as few third-party programs to my machines as possible.

Thanks.

Sorry for all the questions, but........
In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

The exact make and model of your motherboard and DVD Rom driveswould be of great help also.
Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version?
Was it a "clean" install or an upgrade?
Are you dual-booting?
Do you recall installing any software that may have caused the problem?

Sorry for all the questions, but........
In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

The exact make and model of your motherboard and DVD Rom driveswould be of great help also.
Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version?
Was it a "clean" install or an upgrade?
Are you dual-booting?
Do you recall installing any software that may have caused the problem?

Hi reghakr. I have 5 computers in my home all running Windows 7, so I don't want to associate this mid-level importance computer with my User Control Panel. (I'd rather reserve that for my most important one.) Anyway, here are the important stats:

Windows 7 Build 7201 (32-bit)
Home-built computer
Mobo: Abit AN7
CPU: Athlon XP 3200+
RAM: 1GB
Internal Hard Disk: Model WDC WD1200BB-00CAA0 ATA Device
External Hard Disk: Model WDC WD25 00JB-00GVC0 USB Device
DVD Burner: Name TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M ATA Device

I have no keyboard, mouse, or monitor hooked up to the computer. I access it totally via Remote Desktop in Windows.

There are no yellow flags in the Device Manager indicating problems with drivers. The Device Manager indicates the CD/DVD is working properly.

I am using the 32-bit version of Windows 7.

I did a clean install and have installed no other applications since installing Windows 7 (7201).

I am not dual-booting. There is only one system partition on the one internal hard drive.

Thanks.

I have no keyboard, mouse, or monitor hooked up to the computer. I access it totally via Remote Desktop in Windows.

To rule out Remote Desktop, could you hook those items up and see if you can access it then?

Also, how old is the TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M ATA Device?

I did a Google search for TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M ATA and came up with a slew of sites (mainly forums) having problems with this drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows Disc Burner Not Accessible from Remote Desktop

To rule out Remote Desktop, could you hook those items up and see if you can access it then?

Also, how old is the TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M ATA Device?

I did a Google search for TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M ATA and came up with a slew of sites (mainly forums) having problems with this drive.

Well I finally got around to doing some more testing on this issue. As reghakr suggested - and I was suspecting - I made some tests with regard to Remote Desktop. Although it would have been difficult logistically to rig a monitor and keyboard to this particular machine, I figured I could do the same test with another machine in my arsenal. I had another machine that I just built running Windows 7 (7100), 4GB RAM, LG Blu-ray burner. I used Remote Desktop to log on to this machine and tried to use Windows Disc Burner to burn an ISO by right-clicking on the ISO. Sure enough, the dialog box listed no drives in the drop-down list box and reported "A disc burner was not found.". This particular machine did have a monitor and keyboard so I went and logged on directly to the machine and Windows Disc Burner listed the drive properly and I was able to burn the ISO when logged on directly to the machine.

Although it's not 100% conclusive, I'd say the testing was 98% damning in pointing to an incompatibility between the new Windows Disc Burner application and Remote Desktop. Now I'm wondering if this is indeed a bug in Windows 7 or this behavior was by design from Microsoft. (If the latter, it certainly is a poor implementation. The resulting dialog box should state "Windows Disc Burner is not accessible from Remote Desktop." or something to that effect.)

So I'm not optimistic about having this capability with the RTM which is disappointing. Any comments or any workaround they can think of? Thanks in advance.

Same issue here

I also have a machine that I have to remote desktop onto (no keyboard or mouse) to use and couldn't work out why Windows Disc Image would not pick up my burner. I've now installed VNC to connect rather than RDP and the DVD burner shows up. Thanks for sharing the info.

I ran into this issue, too, and didn't want to use an alternative to Remote Desktop that is incompatible with my Remote Desktop Gateway server...

There is a Group Policy that fixes this issue.
Run gpedit.msc and browse down to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Removable Storage Access and Enable 'All Removeable Storage: Allow direct access in remote sessions', then restart for it to take effect! :)

FYI
Peter

Back
Top Bottom