Windows Explorer and Firefox (in Windows 7) frequently 'stop working'

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by winston, Jan 18, 2010.

1. winston

winston New Member

I'm running a new version of Windows 7 on a new Packard Bell Quad Core PC (it's about 2 months old). The problem is that Firefox and Windows Explorer keep crashing -- well not 'crashing' exactly, they just stop working. They disappear with no warning and I get a report box saying 'Windows Explorer has stopped working', 'ckeck online for a solution' (which never produces a result) or 'restart Windows Explorer'. The same happens with Firefox.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks :)

#1 winston, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Are you sure it says Windows Explorer and not Internet Explorer?

If it is actually Windows Explorer, that might be taking Firefox with it. If it is IE you may have some type of internet connection problem. Check your firewall and anti-virus programs.

3. winston

winston New Member

Thanks for your help Saltgrass -- yes, it is definitely Windows Explorer that seems to be the problem. Quite frequently (often several times a day) I'll get a box saying Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, it just randomly happens???

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

I had that same type of problem when I was running the x64 Vista version. I have seen it several times, but I have not heard a definite fix.

It is probably shutting either because of some type of conflict, or possibly a corrupted file or utility. I would probably start going through using Msconfig.exe to see if I could keep something from starting that might help.

Possibly a video driver problem, although I do not know for sure it would have any effect.

Hopefully someone will come along who knows, but I will do so research to see if I can find a definite answer.

5. cybercore

cybercore New Member

This occasionally happens in windows operating systems, XP, Vista, 7. There can be lots of reasons, the most recent one I read about was this:

Firefox (causes?) Windows Explorer to stop working(OS-Win 7)

So, if it offers you to submit your error report, confirm and submit, this way you can help identify the bug. If you notice it is due to a software conflict, then it is a good idea to write a report to Microsoft or to the software developer.

6. winston

winston New Member

It could well be Firefox that's causing the problem, cybercore; maybe I should disable it and try using IE instead (what a drag!).

I'll also try doing what you say regards Msconfig.exe, Saltgrass, that is if I can figure out how (I'm still a little bit tech-illiterate!). Anyway, I'll let you know if I have any success.

Sincere thanks once again guys :)

7. jdcope

jdcope New Member

I had this same error (about 10 times a day, honestly), and went rounds with MS support to get it fixed (last straw was they wanted me to update my motherboard bios!) My son's laptop had the errors too.

Anyway, after some more searching, I found a post on a Windows Server 2008 forum stating that Firefox was causing the same problem with Windows Server. So I uninstalled Firefox, and voila! No more windows explorer errors. Been about 4 days now. Safe bet that Firefox was the culprit. Or at least come kind of coding conflict with W7 64bit and Firefox.