Windows 7 Windows Explorer constantly crashing and restarting on new laptop.

Eriks

Hey, just got myself a new laptop and windows explorer is constantly crashing/restarting when I browse or use the explorer in any way. Examples are when I browse around, click save as (which crashes also the program, a big issue for me) or even when I installed the windows SDK just now it crashed 5 times during the installation.

I searched around a little, but so far no luck. I tried:
- Running Safe-Mode (problem persists)
- Do a cleanboot
- do a virus check
- copy explorer.exe from c:/windows to c:/windows/system32
- Update all drivers.
- uninstall firefox

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

OperatingSystem
MS
Windows7HomePremium64-bit SP1
InstallationDate:28October2011,23:58
CPU
IntelCore i7 @2.00GHz
SandyBridge32nmTechnology
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @665MHz(9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeKComputerInc. N53SN (CPU 1)
GraphicsCard
GEFORCE GT
550M2GB

Take it to where ever you bought it and make them fix it! Contact them to explain the issue.

If the problem shows up in Safe Mode, it would seem to be a basic system problem. As Ted says, having the manufacturer repair it would be best.

But have you added any special utilities, like something from ASUS such as Probe II?

If you want to try yourself, you might start with a System File Check to see if your basic files are OK. Open an Administrative command prompt and type SFC /scannow followed by enter. It will take a few minutes, but show if you have any unrepairable files on your system.

Since it could have been a bad install, you might try doing a Repair Install if you have the install media, or a reinstall for however it works on your system.

Are there any error messages in the Event Viewer?

Eriks,

Before you do too much (more), such that they (the retailer) can (try to) say YOU screwed it up, it's under warranty... just take it back to the point of purchase, now. ASUS is very good about their garrantees.

Regards,
Drew

Back