Windows 7 Windows explorer crashing when clicking on a specific file. Not caused by thumbnails or DivX related

Blubberytexas

I recently opened up an external hard drive of mine and attempted to open a specific file that contains video files. I don't know what type of files are contained within this folder, I just know that they are videos of some sort. My issue here is that when I click on the folder windows explorer will immediately freeze and upon clicking anywhere within the window or any other windows explorer window I receive the windows explorer is unresponsive with the usual restart, close and wait options. I have disabled thumbnails and there are no DivX related files on my computer and none found with shellexviewer. Although selecting it causes crashes, through my antivirus I am able to locate the folder and scan it though I can not open it.

I am running windows 7 Home premium 64 bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try opening it with something like Cubic Explorer or something of the sort. Don't know the issue but I had it and that worked for me and allowed me to move them somewhere else.

I'd also recommend running scans from a few different antivirus programs to make sure something malicious isn't causing it. Maybe Spybot S&D and Avast, they're good at random scans like that.

Back