Windows 7 Windows Explorer default location

Master Chief

Hey. When Windows Explorer is pinned to the taskbar, clicking it opens by default the Libraries window. I never use these, and was wondering how I could change the default location to the Computer window. I know I can just pin Computer to it, but why not cut out a step? :p

Thanks

Right-click on the Explorer shortcut in the taskbar, click 'Properties' and then change the 'Target' to

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,::{20d04fe0-3aea-1069-a2d8-08002b30309d}

That will open Explorer in 'My Computer'.

Hope that helped :)

The series of letters can be changed to any path you wish, for example I have several on my desktop, to access quickly different parts of my Computer. The main one is %windir%\explorer.exe /n /e, C:\ , which of course, opens it in root C.
Fwiw n, opens a single pane window and e, opens in the default view. Not really needed, just a habit, i Guess.

Many users are complaining about the libraries. If you would really like to se the last of them, I have enclosed a zipped file containg three reg files, which are self explanatory.

Last edited:
Thanks, worked like a charm. However, when I click Computer from the start menu, it opens in an instant, but the taskbar shortcut lags for like half a second to open. I guess it's just finding the folder from the GUID path :)

Back
Top Bottom