Windows 7 Windows Explorer restarting/no icons work/permissions

Steve Sanford

64bit version
Click My Compter, or Control Panel-no page shown: Windows Explorer restarting: same inaction: any ideas???
Reinstalled several times
IP35E/4300 cpu
Cannot install IP35 drivers-ie network card-therefore cannot get internet

Default seach files corrupted ???

Solution
It seems like you're facing a few issues with your Windows system, particularly related to Windows Explorer restarting, inability to access certain system settings like "My Computer" or "Control Panel," and difficulties with driver installation. Let's address these step by step:

1. Windows Explorer Restarting:​

When Windows Explorer keeps restarting, it can be due to various reasons such as corrupt system files, conflicting programs, or even malware. Here are a few steps to troubleshoot this issue:
  • Run System File Checker (SFC) tool: Use the SFC tool to scan and repair corrupt system files. Open a Command Prompt as an administrator and run the command:
    Code:
     sfc /scannow
  • Check for Malware: Perform a full...
It seems like you're facing a few issues with your Windows system, particularly related to Windows Explorer restarting, inability to access certain system settings like "My Computer" or "Control Panel," and difficulties with driver installation. Let's address these step by step:

1. Windows Explorer Restarting:​

When Windows Explorer keeps restarting, it can be due to various reasons such as corrupt system files, conflicting programs, or even malware. Here are a few steps to troubleshoot this issue:
  • Run System File Checker (SFC) tool: Use the SFC tool to scan and repair corrupt system files. Open a Command Prompt as an administrator and run the command:
    Code:
     sfc /scannow
  • Check for Malware: Perform a full system scan using your installed antivirus program to ensure that the system is free from malware.
  • Check for Windows Updates: Make sure your system is up to date with the latest Windows updates. Sometimes, updating Windows can resolve such issues.

2. Accessing "My Computer" or "Control Panel":​

If clicking on "My Computer" or "Control Panel" doesn't show any page, it could indicate a system issue. Here are some steps to try:
  • Create a New User Account: Create a new user account and see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is user-specific.
  • Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter: Use the built-in System Maintenance Troubleshooter to detect and fix issues with system settings.

3. Driver Installation Issue:​

Since you are unable to install IP35 drivers for your network card, which is preventing internet access, try these suggestions:
  • Manual Driver Installation: Download the network card driver from the manufacturer's website on another device, transfer it to your system using a USB drive, and manually install it.
  • Troubleshoot Network Adapter: Open Device Manager, locate your network adapter, right-click on it, and choose "Update driver." Follow the on-screen instructions to update the driver.

4. Default Search Files Corrupted:​

If you suspect that default search files are corrupted, you can try rebuilding the Windows Search Index:
  • Rebuild Search Index:
    1. Go to Control Panel > Indexing Options.
    2. Click on "Advanced" and then "Rebuild."

Additional Steps:​

[]Check for Disk Errors: Use the CHKDSK tool to check and repair disk errors. []Check Event Viewer: Look for any related error messages in the Event Viewer to identify the cause of Windows Explorer restarting. By following these steps, you may be able to address the issues you're experiencing with your Windows system. Let me know if you need further assistance or if you encounter any specific errors during these steps.

Solution
Back