Windows firewall prevents shutdown/restart.

R

Ryan Callahan

I installed Windows 7 on my laptop and came across the "Shutting Down" hanging when attempting to shut down or restart. Reading around the internet, it seems this is a very common problem and everyone seems to have a different cause or solution.

I could find nothing in the logs and it appears everything was working properly up to and through windows shutting down. I tried disabling things and doing trial and error. It seems if I shut off the Windows Firewall the machine will shut down normally. This is with a clean install of windows 7, or a reinstall as I tried to install it again hoping it would fix the problem. It's on an Asus g50v all updated (bios, drivers etc). I recieved no warnings when running the Windows 7 compatibility check before install.

So I'm curious as to why it is I have to shutdown Windows Firewall software to get the operating system to close? It seems this is something they should be fixing.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.