"Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute."

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Brandon Phelan, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Brandon Phelan

Brandon Phelan New Member

I ended processes such as lsm.exe and a prompt came up telling me what Windows has encountered a critical problem and that it will restart in one minute.

Even though the process has ended (and remains closed), Windows OPERATES PERFECTLY FINE AND NORMALLY. Why does Windows have to shut down when I am ending something that is not necessary for operation of the system?

I am wondering if there is a way to prevent the shutting down / automatic restarting of Windows when a "critical" system process has ended? The computer runs better with this garbage turned off and Windows is having hissy fits for no reason.

Thanks!

2. Voislav Sauca

Voislav Sauca New Member

Is a virus that may be responsible - TrojanDownloder. Win32.Agent.,
    Download the Kaspersky Rescue Disk from Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
    2. Grab the .iso in a CD ~200mb
    3. Run it before start windows.

After you remove this virus the system is not more acting up.

Voislav

3. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

About the lsm.exe, you can check lsm.exe Windows process - What is it?. Many kinds of comments as you can see. Some Windows processes, like explorer.exe, are absolutely needed. Others are not quite necessary, although they perform a vital function. I have nearly 3,000 files in my Program Files folder, nearly 74,000 files in my Windows folder... and I do NOT have the least intention to find out about all of them. I just hope they work.

Perhaps you'd care to map them all? :cool:

4. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

It depends on whether the first letter is a "capitol i" or a lower "case L"

Run Malwarebytes and see if it wants to remove it, I think that ism.exe is associated with some form of Malware.
    Obviously they are trying to make it look like a Windows process.

If it is LSM.exe then it it a necessary Windows service and must run, but it shouldn't cause your computer to shut down.

If it is LSM.exe then try and run

SFC /scannow

From the elevated command prompt and see it there are any errors.

Mike

#4 MikeHawthorne, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  5. Brandon Phelan

Brandon Phelan New Member

To the idiots that think this is malware/virus...it is not. I am ending a "critical system process" and the computer shuts down 60 seconds or so later. The system runs fine WHILE THIS PROCESS IS OFF...so why does the computer qualify it as a critical system process?

That is all I am asking.

6. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Well to the idiot who posted the post above, "Who Cares"!
    I still think it's malware since there are a number of others who have run into this.

Mike

Process name: Local Session Manager Service
    Product: Windows Vista/7
    Company: Microsoft
    File: lsm.exe
    Security Rating:

LSM is the Local Session Manager Service in Microsoft Windows. It is found mainly under Windows Vista/7, where it manages connections related to the terminal server on the hosted machine. It is considered a part of core Windows functionality.
    Note: The lsm.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, lsm.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm! Check this with Security Task Manager.

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/lsm.exe.html

#6 MikeHawthorne, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  7. alebcay

alebcay New Member

I would think that its malware for sure. If it were really a system-vital component, the computer would shut down immediately, possibly with a BSOD. I have never seen a Windows computer delay a shut down because it "has encountered a problem". Judging from what Brandon Phelan said, you would think that you could just keep running without the component for an hour if it really didn't matter.

Again, if its going to close, it will close immediately.