Windows 10 Windows Insider

Richard0656

Incredibly perhaps, whilst I was using my computer this morning, it rebooted and installed some updates. One of the updates included converting my computer to the windows insider program which I did not want. It did not ask if I agreed. It just did it.

I contacted Microsoft support who told me that this update could not be undone and the only option was to completely delete everything on my computer and start with a fresh version. I find it absolutely amazing that this could happen.

Has anyone else had this experience?

By the way, the advanced settings on the update window only gives the option to stop receiving updates for Windows Insider for 1, 3 or 5 days and it cannot be removed.

I have tried everything, including what you have suggested, but thank you for the suggestions anyway. When trying to recover to an earlier time, the option is greyed out thus eliminating that possibility. Using the recovery disk also greys out the option to keep files and the option to keep files and programs. The only option left is to destroy everything on the computer. This will prevent me from using the programs that came on the computer when I bought it. The computer is, or was it seems, an expensive 27" Samsung touch screen desktop.

I would strongly advise anybody who is considering trying the Windows Insider not to do so. I did voluntarily try out the Insider on my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 but it totally messed up the computer and I had to install Windows 10 again from scratch and lose all my programs and data. Fortunately there was not much on there so it was not a huge problem. I don't see that Insider is much different that a virus since it does the same amount of damage in the long run, i.e. it requires a total re-installation to get rid of it.

Unfortunately, I have not made a disk image for some months, but I suppose using the old one is better than nothing. However, that will require some considerable time in re-installing my recent programs.

Hi I'm sorry you are having this problem. I'm not in on the insider deal, so not much help there. You said you have tried every thing which covers a lot of territory. Sorry if I'm suggesting things to try that you have already tried, but when you say every thing, that's a lot of things! There may be more replies from other members latter!
If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Back to your first post. What OS were you running before the unwanted insider update?

Back