Windows 10 windows.iso

will you lose data = if you install this Windows system onto a drive that had data on it then yes because Windows will format the drive / wiping out any data

or if you install Windows back over the top of a drive that already had another copy Windows then it should only replace the Windows system files i.e, it gives you the option to skip the format step instead placing the old files in a folder called "old Windows"

in most cases its best to format but you may want to get into the system in order to copy/ save files before doing a format later

If you boot into the installer, don't rely on it saving anything, even if it might sometimes. If you double-click the ISO file inside of Windows and run Setup.exe in the outer directory of the ISO (not in the sources folder), then your files and apps will be preserved as long as it is same or higher build, same edition, same architecture, and same language.

in most cases its best to format but you may want to get into the system in order to copy/ save files before doing a format later
In this case, Windows system files are present, so user data can be backed up from the installer using Notepad, before proceeding to install. This is done by pressing Shift + F10, inputting the path to the Notepad.exe in the System32 of the old Windows installation being replaced, using the File > Open menu to launch File Picker, and copying files from the old Windows to an external HDD connected while installing Windows.

I am not an intensive user of third party software, and not a game player.
I have made a fresh install of Windows 10/11 for myself and elderly colleagues, who , also, have little on their computers . We do alll have MS software in common - Office and Outlook mainly.
For them and myself, at the commencement of the install, I have always elected to "keep data etc". To date, we have lost nothing. -- so far:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom