Windows XP Windows Longhorn

bishop144

I wasn't sure where to post this but, I need help.

I'm working on a project to rebuild the beta OS Windows Longhorn. I have installed Build 4039 on a Toshiba netbook, but there are numerous issues. Really what I'm asking for is someone who can help me over e-mail to resolve issues as they arise.

For now though, whenever I connect to Wi-Fi, it send Windows Explorer into a repeating crash loop, Explorer.exe crashes, I restart it, it crashes. This goes on until I turn off the computer, how can this be fixed?

Bluntly, XP is dead and dangerous, so is Longhorn, there is no support unless you get in goooooood contact with Microsoft - I doubt that will be possible. Internet connection with either OS would be hazardous, not only for you, but others too.

Reverse engineering is condemned by every Program House, except Open Source. You would need something like a safe environment to do what you want to do but still, reverse engineering... Practically, it's hard for me to see what you expect to achieve. On the level of a curious mind... I may see it.

No offense here.

I should have clarified this in the initial post. Don't reply with stuff like XP is dead and therefore so is Longhorn. I don't give a flying crap. I still use XP on two of my systems. What I want to hear is how to fix the issues I have.

IMO The explorer is crashing because the driver needs a higher version of dot.net.

Have you got a wsus server that still stores all the xp patches… this will likely solve the issues but it's surprising how many companies don't consider it worth having.

If the answer is no then that gets hard because Microsoft has turned their one off now but it largely depends on what you are trying to achieve with this:

1. For a good (supported and stable) system that will ran on older hardware… I'd Install Linux mint,

2. If it simply must be xp then your best workaround is to use a host machine running hyper-v and install the xp as a virtual machine… that way the host machines dot.net is actually what gets used to got to the internet.

IMO The explorer is crashing because the driver needs a higher version of dot.net.

Have you got a wsus server that still stores all the xp patches… this will likely solve the issues but it's surprising how many companies don't consider it worth having.

If the answer is no then that gets hard because Microsoft has turned their one off now but it largely depends on what you are trying to achieve with this:

1. For a good (supported and stable) system that will ran on older hardware… I'd Install Linux mint,

2. If it simply must be xp then your best workaround is to use a host machine running hyper-v and install the xp as a virtual machine… that way the host machines dot.net is actually what gets used to got to the internet.

p.s. schools in bad internet zones with a good sized computer network offen have their own wsus servers.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifeselect

When the life is gone, it's dead. You can use it privately, like you can still use Windows 95, but entering Internet... go figure. And do tend to others, won't you? Take care, so to say?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/eos

Generally, if you don't want answers, don't make questions. If you make questions, be prepared the answers aren't what you wanted.

Respectfully.

Last edited:

So, the system need a higher .net version. I've tried finding an offline installer for .net, but to no avail. Do you have a link?

Most people with a wsus server don't allow people they don't know use it.
It would help to know what this system needs to do once you get it working?

The system doesn't really need to do anything. This is more or less an experiment to see if Longhorn could be patched into a working system.

In theory yes… if you have time and are working inside a closed system.

Windows and the internet in general works because of network protocols i.e. the dot.net… you can get longhorn upto a dot.net of 3 with patches which (in laymans terms) is basic internet & ip4 network addresses.

The basic dot.net of 4 gives you ip 6 address support current number would be needed for modern connections i.e. basically home groups etc.

In the real world, I know my way around various code protocols from heartbeats and c+ to higher languages like pearl but I wouldn't even consider doing such a project.

Again Hyper-v, vmware and the various Linux (mint esp) are all viable workarounds imo.

Back