Windows Media Player 12

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by trevorwhatever, Jan 20, 2009.

1. trevorwhatever

trevorwhatever New Member

Hi,

Wmp 12 has been scanning for media library for about 4 hours now and seems to be slowing everything else down. I have a large library (about 250gb but should it take this long?

2. Pepper Wadlow Esq

no unless you have a 486.

3. vahnx

vahnx New Member

I suggest you cancel the scan and run it before you go to bed, or if it's only like 10% done keep it scanning and still leave it over night. Weird how it's taking so long. These files local or over the network?

4. CodeOfsilence

CodeOfsilence New Member

I am having the same issue with windows media player, it is taking a long time to scan.

Also, is there anyway to import music directly from a folder? WMP on vista has this option.

5. TomTiddler

TomTiddler New Member

Yea, I finally got sick of seeing WMP Not Responding and 70%+ of my quad core in use for ever, every time I started up WMP. I had already modified the library settings to NOT include MyPictures or MyMusic, but WMP blithely ignored that and went on to scan, index, and preview my 20,000+ pictures every time.

Finally fixed it by going to c:/users/username/appdata/local/microsoft/mediaplayer and simply deleting ALL of the Windows Media Library files (after first making sure my libarary definitions were the way I wanted them to be).
    Make sure you stop the media sharing service first, or you can't delete the files. Sounds drastic, but it worked. Seems like there's a glitch in how WMP "forgets" about previous library databases. Sigh. Anyway, now WMP starts relatively quickly, and only consumes all of my cores for about 5 seconds.

6. djwayne

djwayne New Member

I imported whole music files by going to the Libraries Mode > click on file > manage libraries > Music, Pictures, Video or Recorded TV, then hit the add button and search out your file.

7. DukeTwicep

DukeTwicep New Member

Yes. You can go to the folder from your explorer and then drag either chunks of files or folder(s) into windows media player. Just drag it down to the WMP-icon on the Taskbar (WMP will move up front) and then release when it says "+ Include in music library"