Windows 7 Windows Media Player Issue

progeria

Ok, I just installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit (fresh install / no upgrading from previous OS) on my system and so far so good except for an issue I am getting with Media Player.

It plays all files fine on that are on my hard drive, however when I click on a link in IE8 for an MP3 or M3U I got the following error...

Capture..JPG

The system is very clean with no other media players installed, no codecs, etc. I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. My internet is working fine, and I know the links to the files are valid as I can do a "Save As...", download the MP3 locally and get it to play.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Progeria,
I'm wondering if this has something do to with your 'ActiveX' priviledges and what you've got allowed and not allowed.
If you open Internet Options (under Tools in IE) and go to the security page you'll see a tab marked 'custom level'. This let you change how your browser treats prompts on the internet for things like downloads and playing of videos (along with other stuff lol) If you click on the the tab you'll see a box appear containing check boxes along side several categories. The one you want is the Active X section which is further down.. Now rather than try and tell you which ones to check I just took some screenshots of my set-up and this is how I've set it up for years (vista, XP).. Anyway I hope you find it helps.. :)

Back
Top Bottom