Windows 7 Windows native backup and restore

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Helo
I have Acronis and have read it is conflicting with Win 7 with some drivers.
Also, it would be nice to not have to use third party.
What is your opinion of the thinking that the native backup and restore is very slow.?
I used Macrium and it was good.
My question is, for one who only backs up a full system image occasionally, is the Win 7 native program fast enough or does it live up to its name as being very slow. I would go with it if it had adequate speed.
I could restore my Acronis to last June so it would be free of clutter, than image with the Win 7 native program. I'd like some input before I download and uninstall etc.
Thank you
Peter

Folks here will have different opinions, but Acronis is more versatile and will allow for different drive configurations. The Windows Backup is fairly well set so it will back up exactly what you imaged as far as drive configuration.

I only use the Windows Backup and have had very few problems. I also use a USB 3.0 external drive which speeds thing up quite a bit.

But you could always try the Windows Backup and see for yourself. Since you already have experience with Acronis, you could compare.

I sense Win 7 might be slow when you mention usb3.
I have a WD 2T drive with usb but it also says firewire; then there are 2 other similar ports.
I use the usb as I do ot know what the others are. If esta or firewire made a big difference I should get a cable.

I guess it would not hurt to perform a test with Win 7 and if ok I would not need third party.
Thank you for your ideas.

Free Macrium is a winner. I use it since years and never had any problems. Have done at least 50 successful recoveries on my systems and friend's systems.

Windows7 native imaging is a dog. Has no function and half of the time it does not work. I have bailed out several people who had a perfectly valid VHD but could not recover.

I used to use Macrium and never had a chance to restore but liked the interface.
Do you use the rescue disc to restore an image or just the program.

I've used Acronis for years and regard it as the most reliable and powerful backup tool on the market. Like all forms of insurance you only realise its worth when things go belly up but when it does then you're glad you got the best cover.

I use the WinPE CD and it always works. You can download the .iso from my Skydrive. Burn that to CD (e.g. with ImgBurn). Saves you a couple of hours download of the WAIK if you produce it yourself.

>>I have Acronis with two system images. I keep one from way back and a more current one.
My sensitive data is on 2 different flash drives which I update weekly. I set boot order and boot from my recscue disc. Acronis has always worked that way.

Please explain," You can download the .iso from my Skydrive. Burn that to CD (e.g. with ImgBurn). Saves you a couple of hours download of the WAIK if you produce it yourself.[/QUOTE] Would that benefit my current situation?
Thank you

I use Acronis TI 2010 without problems. I run it from the CD. I think you can boot Acronis from the CD and run it without actually installing it. If you login at Acronis they have updated ISOs for the boot CD and Program itself.
Joe

I use Acronis TI 2010 without problems. I run it from the CD. I think you can boot Acronis from the CD and run it without actually installing it. If you login at Acronis they have updated ISOs for the boot CD and Program itself.
Joe

>>I have build 5.026 TI Home 2010.
I used to update etc but ran into issues.
Now I have a build and all that has not failed me so I stick with it. I boot from the rescue disc each time I need to restore.
I guess you could remove the program and relieve the pc of yet another weight but I don't know how you would set up backups etc.. I am afraid to move a checker on the board for fear of disrupting anything. I can only hope my success with retores continues.

Last edited:
>>I have Acronis with two system images. I keep one from way back and a more current one.
My sensitive data is on 2 different flash drives which I update weekly. I set boot order and boot from my recscue disc. Acronis has always worked that way.

Please explain," You can download the .iso from my Skydrive. Burn that to CD (e.g. with ImgBurn). Saves you a couple of hours download of the WAIK if you produce it yourself.
Would that benefit my current situation?
Thank you[/QUOTE]

With the WinPE that I linked you can image and recover your system and any other partition. All you need to do is load the system from the CD - then you'll see.

If you are not familiar with Macrium, here is a tutorial.

I think I understand. Without Acronis, I could ue the link to get to a program in itself which I could us to backup. Then using the disc i coud recover.

I think I understand. Without Acronis, I could ue the link to get to a program in itself which I could us to backup. Then using the disc i coud recover.

When you burn the .iso to a CD, you can make images when you load that CD and you can also recover from previous images. The advantage is that you need not install free Macrium.

That is handy if you e.g. work on a friends PC or if the PC is on the blink and dows not boot. Then you can still image the partitions and later recover your data from that image. All you need to do is to mount the image on another PC.

I'm sorry but I lack the experience to grasp this level of peformance.
Thank you for trying though.
You can sign off if you wish or pursue this till I get it. I am still interested but lack knowledge of terms etc therefore I cannot get the entire concept.

I don't understand the difference between my rescue disc which brings up the Aronis program so I can pick a partiton or drive to restore, and what you are trying to show me to do with the iso file.

If I burned the iso file with IMG or whatever, is this like a portable Acronis program?
This would men no installation is necesary. But would it be able to find the specific backup to restore?

If I burned the iso file with IMG or whatever, is this like a portable Acronis program?
This would men no installation is necesary. But would it be able to find the specific backup to restore?
Yes to all of this - except that you are working with Macrium and not Acronis. Macrium in my book is easier to use than Acronis.

So I would really have a potable Macrium and could access an image made only by Macrium to recover with.
Now I have the program in my disc folder not in my pc and the backups in the pc. When I want I could insert the disc and either perform another backup or recover from an an existing image with out the program being installed.
if this is the case I certainly have something to think about.

So I would really have a potable Macrium and could access an image made only by Macrium to recover with.
Now I have the program in my disc folder not in my pc and the backups in the pc. When I want I could insert the disc and either perform another backup or recover from an an existing image with out the program being installed.
if this is the case I certainly have something to think about.

>>I am going for it and thank you or the iso which saves so much time.
Peter

You are welcome. And have a look at the tutorial, that will make it easier.

I used to use Macrium so it was ok going.
I used Ashampoo to burn the iso to disc and when I booted it looked as though Windows was loading but, then, the Macrium program appeared.

It is in the process of imaging which indicates about 45 minutes in all.

When it is done, I will try a recovery.

I don't think I could recover an Acronis backup could I?

If you were in my shoes and imaged about once every 5 months, would you remove programs from the machine + just use the disc,or keep Acronis installed and have the Macrium disc in the disc holder?
I keep my data updated every 5 days or so with 2 different flash drives in case one dies.
Images are to avoid complete reinstallation.
One pc has 1T and the other 640 GB. The usb drives are 1T and 2T.
Importantly, can I use this disc for both pcs?
Thank you
Peter

I used to use Macrium so it was ok going.
I used Ashampoo to burn the iso to disc and when I booted it looked as though Windows was loading but, then, the Macrium program appeared.

It is in the process of imaging which indicates about 45 minutes in all.

When it is done, I will try a recovery.

I don't think I could recover an Acronis backup could I?

If you were in my shoes and imaged about once every 5 months, would you remove programs from the machine + just use the disc,or keep Acronis installed and have the Macrium disc in the disc holder?
I keep my data updated every 5 days or so with 2 different flash drives in case one dies.
Images are to avoid complete reinstallation.
One pc has 1T and the other 640 GB. The usb drives are 1T and 2T.
Importantly, can I use this disc for both pcs?
Thank you
Peter

PS I told Macrium to verify before restoring and it says, "The following drives will be overwritten- C: D:." Those are the drives I backed up.
*Does this just apply to Macrium so I will still be able to use Acronis to recover Acronis images??

Back