Windows 7 Windows PhotoStory

Photo story 3

Is this really true ????????? that nobody knows how to install photo story in windows 7. It is possible in Vista, but maybe Microsoft wants to stop the product as they did with the frontpage. Please Microsoft, let us know your intention with these products,

I would also like to know or should we just look for a different product. Problem is I've used it extensively in the past and now I can't do anything with my projects.

Photo story

Please also is there anyway that i can install Photo story 3 on Windows 7 i use it all the time and it is a pain that it is not compatible with Windows 7 Please Microsoft DO SOMETHING!!!!!:(

THANKS ELANDRA

Try XP Version

Please also is there anyway that i can install Photo story 3 on Windows 7 i use it all the time and it is a pain that it is not compatible with Windows 7 Please Microsoft DO SOMETHING!!!!!:(

THANKS ELANDRA

I just downloaded Photo Story 3 (XP Version) on my new Windows 7 i5 pc and it worked beautifully.

Was able to create, save and view without issue :)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I tried to download Photo Story 3 and was given an error message, told it can't be done... Is there an update?:mad:

you need photostory 3.1 instead of 3.0 to work in Win 7. you can get it for free at the microsoft website bundled into Digital Image Starter Edition 2006 download. It should fire up with no problem, unlike 3.0.

Best practice I've found so far for installing photo story 3.1 on its own without the digital imaging 2006 suite in its entirety and saving a little space.

For information we're running W7 Professional, the Photo Story 3.0 msi comes with the error : Your operating system is not supported

How we get 3.1 installed:
First, download the 110mb digital imaging suite starter 2006 from Link Removed due to 404 Error

Then, run the exe to start installation but do not continue through it.

Go to %temp%\IXP000.TMP and extract starter.cab
browse to %extracted folder name%\PIP\POD\ - These seem to be the install files for photo story. Having these files in their own directory and starting pod.msi (hidden file) looks as if it starts the DIS2006 installer but it only installs the photostory and image library parts. (totalling 26mb)

Let me know how you go with the success of this! Hope this helps someone.

(Wouldnt it be great if they could just package this instead of making us go through all this?)

I tried to download Photo Story 3 and was given an error message, told it can't be done... Is there an update?:mad:

Any luck with the download?

The stand alone version listed here Link Removed due to 404 Error worked fine for me. I downloaded it through Firefox, then simply installed per the instructions. If you're still experiencing difficulties then let us know.

Wouldnt it be great if they could just package this instead of making us go through all this
I agree Roonerspism, it would make life a lot eaiser :frown:

Best practice I've found so far for installing photo story 3.1 on its own without the digital imaging 2006 suite in its entirety and saving a little space.

For information we're running W7 Professional, the Photo Story 3.0 msi comes with the error : Your operating system is not supported

First, download the 110mb digital imaging suite starter 2006 from HERE

browse to %extracted folder name%\PIP\POD\ - These seem to be the install files for photo story. Having these files in their own directory and starting pod.msi (hidden file) looks as if it starts the DIS2006 installer but it only installs the photostory and image library parts. (totalling 26mb)

(Wouldnt it be great if they could just package this instead of making us go through all this?)
ahhh!! how do i do that???

This is not a Microsoft supported forum. If you really want to ask Microsoft for something you'll need to go elsewhere. Here's a site that is actually done by real M$ professionals. At least I think it is.

Windows 7 Category

I am not smart enough to pull it out of the Digital Image Starter Edition... I downloaded the whole thing and there is no photo story in there.

Epic fail continues. I should have bought an Apple.:frown:

Hey everyone,

Just got another two cents to add to this, turns out my method of extracting it from the digital imaging starter edition has a flaw, 30 days, apparantly its just a trial so sorry if I led anyone down the wrong track there.

One interesting thing to note though, I had to rebuild the machine that I was working on for reasons relating to sysprep, anyway, after completely formatting and reloading windows 7 without doing any updates to the system I was perfectly able to load Photo Story 3 which was downloaded from the microsoft website and run it. I cant figure out why, but its happy.

Eureka with doubts

:confused:

First, download the 110mb digital imaging suite starter 2006 from HERE

I extracted the complete file to a Win XP Pro system and than copied the startercab-file to the new Win 7 notebook. The pod.msi file opened nicely and installed some 26 Mb of program which indeed appeared to be the Photo Story 3.1! Thank you so much ! My question now is: is this part of the suite a 60-days trial also or will it continue to work after that period? :confused:

Last edited:
try again.. it looks like the OS check has been dropped in the new versions of photostory

Thanks AJBIRD for the good news ! I went to the Papajohn.org site which also says "Photostory is back again". But now could you please tell me where I can download the correct version of PS3 since I suppose you have already made the experience and I want to avoid downloading one of the previous, still circulating (but not-compatible) versions of it.
Thanks a lot in advance.

just download straight from MS.. they have replaced the broken version with a new binary.

Hey Ajbird,
guess what, I downloaded PS3 from the MicrosoftDonwloadCenter, installed it and from the beginning it worked. Glad to have found this forum and helpful people! Thanks, I only hope sometime I can help others too when they are stuck with a PC problem!

Rgds Ozzy(happy)too.

For one reason or another, the downloaded Photostory.msi file (Windows Installer file) on my computer was opened in Notepad instead of opened with Windows Installer. It was probably because I first tried to RUN the file, insted of downloading it, and there was some Windows file protection happening.
You have to right-click, open properties panel, and tell Windows to open the file with Windows Installer. And then click at the bottom button if it tells you that the files has been blocked for protection.
Hope this helps.
Best jkved

Back
Top Bottom