Windows 7 Windows reinstall

Bobcoop103

I want to do a clean reinstall of windows but Ihave much data as well as programs I would prefer not to have to reinstall inaddition I have banking etc that I don’t want to lose. My question is, what isthe best way to do this, is there a backup program available? The reason forthe reinstall is that the O/S is so corrupted that it is not performing as itonce did.
Thanks, Bob

If the OS is corrupted, then you probably would not want to use a system image to restore you current install. But you might make one just in case.

The only way to do what you suggest, is to do a Repair Install, where you start the install from Windows and not booting to the DVD. Whether you can do this may depend on your system and if it is OEM or whatever. So for better recommendations, you might want to describe your system and what restore/install media you may have.

It sounds like you have the Install DVD. But if you have done the SP1 update, does it include that? If you already have a retail install DVD, you can download a version that includes SP1 from here.

Link Removed - Not Found

Download it and burn the .iso file "as an image" to make a bootable DVD. You should then be able to do a repair install and keep your programs and data. Just make sure and do the Update, and not Custom Install.

There is never a 100% guarantee something will work. Backups are always a good idea.

Hi Bobcoop, might also be an idea to backup everything with "Windows Easy Transfer". It's one of the preinstalled windows utilities and it allows you to backup all of your files and restore the user account after you formatted to what it was like before.
It will only backup your files, so you'll still be working from a fresh copy of windows.

As for the software, drivers and whatever else I don't know of any way to cleanly migrate them.

What about carbonite. You could do a backup with that. If you had carbonite home plus, you can backup your operating system (windows 7), programs and everything else.

Back