Windows 7 Windows search and special characters like "µ"

Thorz

Hello

This is my first post but I have been reading the forums for a while already.

I am puzzled by how to search for special characters in W7. I have some files that start with the Greek letter µ but I don't seem to find a way to make WS recognize characters like these for searches. When I type µ I get no results at all. I have already tried with the advanced query filename:µ without getting any results.

When I use Total Commander for searching for µ I get all the results I am looking for, and I know that all these files are included in the Windows Search Index because they can be found if using some other parts of the file name, like for example searching for torrent it finds files with the name µtorrent.

Any ideas on how to achieve this? Your help is really appreciated. Thank you.

I have Google Desktop installed. Using Character Map, I can select the special character and search from the orb - Windows Search reports EVERYTHING, but clicking "Search Everywhere" brings up Google Desktop search, which does actually find only the special character.

Not much help if you don't use Google Desktop, though.

Hello

This is my first post but I have been reading the forums for a while already.

I am puzzled by how to search for special characters in W7. I have some files that start with the Greek letter µ but I don't seem to find a way to make WS recognize characters like these for searches. When I type µ I get no results at all. I have already tried with the advanced query filename:µ without getting any results.

When I use Total Commander for searching for µ I get all the results I am looking for, and I know that all these files are included in the Windows Search Index because they can be found if using some other parts of the file name, like for example searching for torrent it finds files with the name µtorrent.

Any ideas on how to achieve this? Your help is really appreciated. Thank you.

Very useful tip, I will try it. Thanks a lot!

Back